Big Daddy's Holiday Dinner Recipes
By Aaron McCargo, Jr.
Host, Food Network’s Big
See Aaron McCargo's recipes from today's show:
Hoisin-Glazed Cornish Hen
2 in 1 Gravy and Sausage & Stuffed Stuffing
Cinnamon Apple Cranberry Sauce
Mini Sweet Potatoe Pies
Garlic Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Hoisin-Glazed Cornish Hen
Prep Time: 10 min, Cook Time: 24 min, Serves: 2 servings
1 (1 1/2-pound) Cornish hens
Vegetable oil, for frying
1/2 cup hoisin
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup scallions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a very deep pot, bring enough oil to fill the pot by 2/3 of the way. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F.
- Add the hen slowly to the oil and fry for 8 to 10 minutes on each side until golden brown and have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove the hen from the oil and drain on a paper towel.
- Whisk together in a large bowl, the hoisin, honey, red pepper flakes, and the scallions. Brush mixture over the cooked hen on both sides and reserve the extra sauce for dipping.
- Place in oven for about 7 minutes. Take out. Flip over and brush reserved hoisin sauce on flipped side. Place in oven for another 7 minutes.
Stuffing Balls w/ 2 in 1 Gravy
Prep Time: 20 min, Cook Time: 30 min, Serves: about 10 servings
8-ounce pack spicy sausage (recommended: Bob Evan)
2 cups canola oil, plus 1/4 cup
1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (6-ounce) box chicken flavored bread stuffing mix (made according to package instructions)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and drop dime-sized dollops of sausage into the pan. Cook until golden brown, approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the pan to a plate and set aside.
After removing sausage add a 1/4 cup of canola oil to the pan and stir in 1/2 cup of flour. Stir to create a roux, and cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken stock, stirring while you pour and let simmer, stirring frequently, until it thickens, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
In a separate saucepan heat 2 cups of canola oil on medium-high heat until it reaches.
In a large bowl combine the stuffing, parsley, thyme, and scallions and mix together. Take quarter-sized or 1 tablespoon of stuffing mix and wrap it around the individual sausage balls. Cover the sausage completely and set aside.
Once all of the sausage balls have been coated in stuffing, dredge them in the remaining 1/2 cup of flour. When all the balls are lightly coated in flour, carefully drop them into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove them from the oil, to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Once all of the balls have been fried and drained turn off the heat to the gravy and add the fried sausage stuffing balls. Stir gently to coat the balls with the gravy and transfer to a serving bowl or platter. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
- 12 ounces fresh collard greens, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Wash collard greens thoroughly. In a medium stock pot, place collards in hot water for 3 minutes, remove and drain.
In a large saute pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter, then add onions and crushed red pepper, saute. Then add collards and chicken stock to saute pan. Cook on high heat, stirring occasionally for 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Cinnamon Apple Cranberry Sauce
Prep Time: 10 min, Inactive Prep Time:20 min, Cook Time:15 min
- 2 cups of cranberry juice
- 6-oz bag sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 cinnamon stick broke in half
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Gala apples, peel, cored and diced
- 2 tsp of corn starch
In medium sauce pan combine cranberry juice, cranberries, cinnamon and sugar. Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 minutes. Add apples and cook for another 5 minutes or until dried cranberries have softened and apples are tender, making sure to stir occasionally.
Remove 8 ounces of the liquid and whisk cornstarch into removed liquid Slowly add cornstarch-juice mixture (slurry) to cranberry mix stirring constantly. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Remove from heat, chill until thickened, about 30 minutes remove cinnamon sticks and serve.
Serving Yield: 12
Sweet Potato Mini Pie
- 24 pre-made mini pie shellsOil, for pans
- 1 (12-ounce) can yams or sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened (reserved from Whipped Cinnamon Cream Cheese)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- Whipped Cinnamon Cream Cheese:
- 1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese (reserve 2 tablespoons for pies), softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Put the pre-made mini shells inside a greased 24-count mini muffin pan.
In a large bowl add the yams, cream cheese, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, brown sugar and caramel sauce. Beat with a hand-held electric mixer until well combined. Dollop 2 to 3 tablespoons of the pie mixture into each shell. Bake until the custard sets, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
For the Whipped Cinnamon Cream Cheese:
Add the cream cheese, cream, sugar and cinnamon to a large bowl. Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat the cream cheese mixture until you reach a frosting consistency. Transfer the mixture to a disposable pastry bag with a star tip. Pipe a small amount of whipped cream cheese on each mini sweet potato pie. Arrange on a serving platter and serve.
Garlic-Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds red bliss potatoes, quartered and boiled fork tender
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 stick butter
- 6 cloves garlic smashed
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar
- Cracked peppercorns
- Kosher salt
- Chives, for garnish
Boil potatoes off in a large pot of salted water until tender. Drain the water and place potatoes back in pan.
In a large saucepan, heat heavy cream, butter and garlic to a light simmer. Once cream starts to simmer, turn off the heat and add to the potatoes. Mash together. Fold in cheese, peppercorns and salt, to taste. Garnish with chopped chives.
CBN IS HERE FOR YOU!
Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting?
Are you facing a difficult situation?
A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.