A federal judge dismissed a lawsuit Wednesday that would have ended the Obama administration's funding of embryonic stem cell research.
The federal government will continue the controversial research to find cures for deadly diseases.
Opponents have protested the funding because it relies on destroyed human embryos.
The lawsuit claimed that the research violated the 1996 law that prohibits taxpayer financing for work that harms a human embryo.
CBN News spoke with David Prentice of the Family Research Council about the debate surrounding embyonic stem cell research and the alternative research adult stem cells can offer. Click play for his comments.
Last year, U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth said the lawsuit was likely to succeed and ordered a stop to the research while the case continued.
But responding to a swift protest from the Obama administration, the appeals court quickly overturned Lamberth's injunction and said the case was likely to fail.
Lamberth said in his opinion Wednesday that he is bound by the higher court's analysis and ruled in favor of the administration.
"This Court, following the D.C. Circuit's reasoning and conclusions, must find that defendants reasonably interpreted the Dickey-Wicker Amendment to permit funding for human embryonic stem cell research because such research is not 'research in which a human embryo or embryos are destroyed,'" Lamberth wrote.
Researchers hope one day to use embryonic stem cells in ways that cure spinal cord injuries, Parkinson's disease, and other ailments.
Though current research done by scientists is using cells culled long ago, opponents also fear research success would spur destruction of new embryos.