CBNNews.com - Following last week's assassination of Hezbollah chief Imad Mugniyeh, the terror group has put its membership on high alert, according to a report Saturday in the Lebanese paper as-Safir.
According to Lebanese media, Hezbollah put 50,000 fighters on high alert and ordered buildings in southern Lebanon used for political rather than military purposes to be evacuated.
Americans residing in Lebanon have been told not to use mobile phones, be extra vigilant and stay in close contact with the US embassy in Beirut.
Following Mugniyeh's assassination, Israel Defense Forces (IDF) Chief of General Staff Lt. General Gabi Ashkenazi put the troops in the Northern Command, along with the air force and navy, on high alert.
But defense officials said the figure cited in as-Safir is exaggerated as the Lebanese-based terror group doesn't have a 50,000-member fighting force.
At Mugniyeh's funeral, Hezbollah spiritual leader Hassan Nasrallah vowed revenge attacks on Israelis and Jews throughout the world, prompting Jewish institutions and Israelis traveling abroad to be on high alert for assaults and/or kidnapping attempts.
Sources: YNet news service, The Associated Press, The Jerusalem Post