CBNNews.com - The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) will continue its counter-terror operations in the Gaza Strip, aimed at destroying Kassam rocket-launching operations, but will not launch a major incursion at this time.
In the past week, Gaza-based Palestinians launched some 160 Kassam rockets and 70 mortar shells into Israel.
Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak instructed the IDF to deepen its pinpoint operations aimed at stopping the rocket fire.
On Saturday, Golani Brigade infantry entered the Jabalya refugee camp in northern Gaza, the deepest incursion in recent months, where they arrested four Hamas gunmen.
On Thursday, Barak ordered a complete closure of border crossings from Israel into the Gaza Strip other than medicines and humanitarian aid, which would be closely scrutinized.
On Sunday, Palestinians sources said Gaza would be without electricity before the end of the day due to the border closures and a lack of diesel fuel to run the turbines.
Palestinians reported that one turbine had already shut down and a second would shut down within a few hours. They also said the supply of gasoline was running low.
Apart from the fuel to power its electric plant, Gaza receives two-thirds of its electricity directly from Israel, which is not affected by the border closings.
Israeli defense officials said Gaza residents were not in dire shape, with sufficient food and other supplies, and Israel would ensure that a humanitarian crisis does not develop.
Meanwhile, Hamas said it would continue its rocket attacks on Israel.
"We will not surrender and we will not raise white flags," said Hamas spokesman Ayman Taha.
Sources: The Jerusalem Post, YNet news service, Haaretz