CBNNews.com - GAZA BORDER, Israel - In response to Monday evening's mortar shell attack and Tuesday's Kassam rocket attacks, the IDF (Israel Defense Forces) closed border crossings with the Gaza Strip.
The Sufa crossing, Nahal Oz fuel terminal and Karni crossings were closed Wednesday, while the Erez pedestrian terminal remained open.
Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the Kassam attacks, saying they were in response to the death of senior commander Taker Abu Rali, killed in an IDF counter-terror operation in Nablus Tuesday.
Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum called the closures a violation of the cease-fire agreement.
Israel refrained from a military response, but said the "gross violation" of the truce warranted the crossings' closures.
"We are prepared for any scenario and development," one IDF official said, adding that the rocket attacks "could lead to an escalation within hours."
Meanwhile, Sderot residents weren't surprised by the resumption of attacks less than a week after the cease-fire took effect.
"Even then I thought it wouldn't last more than a week," Ofer Lieberman of Kibbutz Nir Am said.
"Our kibbutz didn't really manage to get used to the calm, although it is very easy to get used to it," he said.
"What happened today wasn't a big surprise," said Yael Sheneor, outside her parents' home in Sderot, which was damaged in Tuesday's rocket attack.
"I have an 18-month-old child who almost never goes outside because once a rocket landed while I was outside, and I haven't left the house with him since then," she said.
Sources: YNet news, Haaretz