CBNNews.com - JERUSALEM, Israel - Senior Israel Defense Forces (IDF) officers said talk of a cease-fire before the border with Egypt is sealed and arms smuggling ended is worthless.
"A continuation of the smuggling into Gaza will defeat the purpose of a cease-fire," one defense official said.
General (ret.) Amos Gilad, head of the Diplomatic Security Bureau for the Defense Ministry, traveled to Cairo Tuesday to meet with Egyptian intelligence chief Omar Suleiman, who earlier in the week cancelled his trip to Israel for a third time, citing Israel's "lack of commitment" to the Egyptian-brokered cease-fire.
Suleiman allegedly presented Israel with a package deal giving Hamas partial control of the Rafah border crossing, Palestinian Authority (PA) forces control over two other border crossings, which would lead to lifting economic sanctions on Gaza and help restore a Hamas/Fatah unity government.
But senior officers in the IDF's General Staff said Egypt's plan rewards Hamas terrorists, who suffered a setback in the IDF's counter-terror operation at the beginning of the month.
"Hamas suffered a heavy low during the operation…Similar operations will…keep up the pressure instead of rewarding them for their Kassam rocket fire," one defense official said.
Agreeing to Egypt's proposal to place the PA's Presidential Guard at the Karni and Erez border crossings would give Hamas an opening there.
In the past, Hamas attacked Fatah forces deployed at these two border crossings.
Source: The Jerusalem Post