CBNNews.com - JERUSALEM, Israel - Israeli Member of Knesset (MK) Zevulun Orlev wants an investigation of an Israeli television report alleging that Mercaz HaRav yeshiva students planned a revenge attack for last week's murders against a senior Arab official.
The report, aired on Channel 1, said three yeshiva students met with two rabbis, who gave their blessing to their plan.
The news anchor quoted security sources who allegedly said the attack had not yet been carried out and no arrests had been made.
The Associated Press picked up the story, publishing it under the headline, "Yeshiva Graduates Plan Revenge Attack against Arab Figure."
"Students from the Mercas HaRav yeshiva in Jerusalem, where an Israeli Arab gunmen killed eight students last Thursday, planned a revenge attack against a senior Arab official affiliated with a Jerusalem mosque, Channel 1 television reported Tuesday," AP's opening paragraph read.
Officials at the Mercaz HaRav yeshiva called the report completely baseless.
MK Orlev (National Union/National Relgious Party) asked Public Security Minister Avi Dichter (Kadima) to investigate the incident, which he described as "malicious slander."
"I turned urgently to Public Security Minister Avi Dichter and said that if there are any apparent suspects in revenge plots, they should be detained and investigated," Orlev said.
"And if there are none, then maybe there is someone interested in blemishing religious Zionism and the Mercav HaRav yeshiva in such particularly difficult hours when we are all hurting and grieving," he said.
"If there are suspects -- and it is almost certain there are none -- please apologize to religious Zionism, apologize to the yeshiva because that would be malicious slander, evil slander, so either arrest or apologize," he said.
Sources: The Associated Press, Haaretz, israel national news