JERUSALEM, Israel - The possibility that former South African justice Richard Goldstone would follow up on his recent admission that the Goldstone Commission's report was flawed seemed to vanish almost as soon as it appeared.
In a Washington Post op-ed piece published Monday, Goldstone said the report wrongly accused the Israeli military of committing "war crimes against humanity" during Operation Cast Lead in the winter of 2008-2009.
On Tuesday, Goldstone alluded to taking the next step to alter the report's status, former Israeli ambassador to the U.N., Dan Gillerman told Army Radio.
Goldstone reportedly made the statement on the phone with Gillerman and Interior Minister Eli Yishai, who called to thank him and invite him to visit Israel.
But by Wednesday, Goldstone said he had "no reason to believe any part of the report needs to be reconsidered at this time," The Jerusalem Post reported.
International law consultant and former senior legal advisor to the Israel Defense Forces David Benjamin said Goldstone, not Israel, should make the next move.
"If Goldstone is sincere, he's the one who should try to correct some of the damage," Benjamin told CBN News. "The ball's in his court now," he said.
Benjamin said Goldstone had a number of options, including an appearance before the United Nations or the European Union, where he could explain the commission's "sweeping conclusions" that the IDF targeted civilian populations in the Gaza Strip.
In an article published last week in The Jerusalem Post, Benjamin said reports by two committees appointed by the U.N. Human Rights Commission to follow up on Israeli and Palestinian investigations into the commission's allegations - drew some positive conclusions about Israel.
Those reports, Benjamin believes, may have convinced Goldstone to reconsider his accusations against the IDF.