JERUSALEM, Israel -- Gaza terror groups fired more than 10 Grad and Kassam rockets into the Israeli cities of Ashkelon, Ashdod, Beersheva and Kiryat Gat on Friday.
The assault is the latest development in a series of incidents that began Thursday with the deadliest terrorist attack against Israel in years.
Gaza militants fired several rockets into the Jewish state -- two of which hit the Israeli port city of Ashdod and caused damage at a synagogue and a school.
CBN News Mideast Bureau Chief Chris Mitchell talked more about Thursday's deadly terror attacks on the CBN News Channel's Morning News, Aug. 19.
Other rockets were aimed at cities throughout southern Israel from Ashkelon to Beersheva.
Israel responded to Thursday's deadly terror attacks by striking the group responsible for the ambushes -- the Popular Resistance Committee.
Israeli planes bombed the headquarters of the PRC in Gaza late Thursday. The raid killed the head of the PRC and several others Israel says planned and executed the terror attacks against Israeli civilians and soldiers.
"The people who gave the order to murder our people and hid in Gaza are no longer among the living," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a televised address.
Eight Israelis died in three consecutive, well-coordinated attacks. More than 30 suffered injuries.
Netanyahu said Israel would not tolerate these attacks.
"Israel views this with the utmost gravity and we will act to protect our people," said Mark Regev, a spokesman for the prime minister.
The attacks show how vulnerable Israel's southern border has become since the fall of the former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak earlier this year.
Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak criticized Egypt's weak hold on Sinai and said the instability was "broadening the activities of terrorists." He called Gaza itself the source of the terror.
Israeli intelligence says squads including up to 20 terrorists left Gaza through its elaborate tunnel system and then infiltrated into Egypt's Sinai desert.
CBN News Terrorism Analyst Erick Stakelbeck says it could be the beginning of a wave of terror attacks coming out of Gaza and the Sinai.
"I think this attack out of Sinai may have opened the floodgates for terror assaults out of that region," Stakelbeck predicted. "We've seen over the past few years al Qaeda and al Qaeda-linked groups setting up shot there in Sinai."
"Now that Hosni Mubarak is gone, this is supposed to be Egyptian territory," he said. "Now that he's gone, the Egyptian army seems to be taking a hands-off approach to the Sinai.
"That means big trouble for Israel," he warned.