By midmorning Tuesday, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad gave no indication of fulfilling his promise to begin withdrawing troops from cities around the country.
Assad reportedly made the commitment to a ceasefire brokered by former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan at the end of last month. Within the context of the agreement, Assad said he would begin troop pullout on April 10 so the ceasefire could be implemented within 48 hours on April 12.
Annan travels to Turkey and Iran Tuesday to discuss the U.N.-brokered initiative with government officials.
Meanwhile, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Mouallem is in Moscow for meetings with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. (Russia has provided an estimated 78 percent of Syrian arms, according to a recent report by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.)
Anti-government activists say Assad's troops killed more than 150 people across the country on Monday.
One activist in Hama told Reuters via Skype that shelling takes place after dark, making it difficult to videotape.
"At 2:00 a.m. we heard two shells fall and the sound of tanks moving around the streets," he said. "There is no gunfire now. They shell us at night so it is hard to film."
Syrian tanks also shelled a refugee camp on the Turkish side of the border Monday, killing two Syrians and wounding two Turks helping out there. A separate attack across the Lebanese border reportedly killed a local TV journalist.
In a statement released Monday by his office, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he was "alarmed by the reports of continued violence and human rights violations in Syria, which resulted in an increased flow of refugees into neighboring countries."