The following breaking gives snapshot of what will happen should the government shut down.
- Even though most government operations will close, the mail will still run since it is self-funded.
- Social security checks will still go out. However, it will not be able to process new enrollees.
- You still have to file your taxes by the deadline, but some refunds checks will be delayed.
- Medicare will still pay claims.
- At least 800,000 federal workers will be told to stay home.
- If your child gets free school lunch, that program will not be affected.
- National parks and museums will be closed.
- As of now, the military will not be paid but members of Congress will still get their paychecks.