Attorney General Eric Holder told the House Judiciary Committee Thursday that he was ultimately responsible for the Justice Department's handling of a botched federal gun sting.
Under "Operation Fast and Furious," guns were allowed to "walk" across the border into Mexico in an effort to shut down major arms trafficking networks.
But the weapons later ended up at crime scenes in Mexico and the U.S. -- and were even used in the murder of U.S. border patrol agent Brian Terry.
Holder told the panel it was "inexcusable" for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to employ such controversial tactics but acknowledged the buck stopped with him.
Click play to watch the updated report from CBN News Congressional Correspondent John Jessup.
"I'm ultimately responsible for all of the actions that occur within the department," he told the House panel.
"But I think as you look at what happened with regards to "Fast and Furious" and try to decide what kind of performance I have done in this regard, I think you have to look at what happened, what I did once I learned of these matters," he added.
So far, more than 50 Republican House members have called for the attorney general's resignation.
"This botched program should never have been authorized in the first place," Rep. Charles Boustany Jr., R-La., said. "Attorney General Holder should resign over his failure and his evasive and contradictory testimony to the United States Congress."