Former CIA Director David Petraeus told House lawmakers in a closed-door hearing Friday that he'd believed from the beginning the Sept. 11 assault on the U.S. Consulate in Libya was a terrorist attack.
Speaking before the House Intelligence Committee, Petraeus said the CIA's account of the incident had been altered by other federal agencies.
According to Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., the ex-CIA chief was unaware of who'd removed the terrorist references but denied the White House had any hand in it.
"There was an interagency process to draft it, not a political process," Schiff said after the hearing.
"The general was adamant there was no politicization of the process, no White House interference or political agenda," he added. "He completely debunked that idea."
Meanwhile, Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y. said that Petraeus had seemed less sure of whether the Benghazi incident had involved terrorism in a Sept. 14 briefing with House lawmakers.
"He thought all along that he made it clear there was terrorist involvement," King said. "That was not my recollection."
It's been two months since the deadly attack on the American mission that left U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans dead.
Furious lawmakers hope the hearings will shed light on conflicting stories and silence from the administration.
A growing number of congressman are calling for special committees or investigators to find answers to the outstanding questions. There's even a petition with more than 100,000 names of Americans calling for a special prosecutor to investigate the events surrounding the attacks.
The State Department and FBI are still working on their own independent investigations.