Several Democrats are now joining the chorus of skeptics questioning the Obama administration on the deadly Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
Initially, White House officials pushed the idea that the attack left four Americans dead, including U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens, was spontaneous and not the work of terrorists.
"These protests were in reaction to a video that had spread to the region," White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters on Sept. 14. "We have no information to suggest it was a pre-planned attack."
As late as last week, President Obama said, "What we do know is that the natural protests that arose because of the outrage over the video were used as an excuse by extremists to see if they can also directly harm U.S. interests."
The Obama administration later changed its story, saying that terrorists were responsible for the attack that killed four Americans, including on Sept. 11 of this year.
Republicans have speculated that the White House downplayed the possibility of terrorism because it's an election year and it wants voters to believe that al Qaeda is mostly defeated.
Now, however, the newspaper The Hill says Democrats like Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., are pushing for answers.
ABC News is now reporting that intelligence officials in Libya immediately suspected that the attack was not tied to the movie.
The officials say the attackers knew where to get U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens after he fled to a so-called safe house.
Also, the attackers used insurgent mortars to hit the building, suggesting they knew what they were doing.
The White House says its understanding of events has changed as intelligence has been confirmed and top administration officials have started to call it a terrorist attack.
On Thursday, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta explained, "as we have determined the details of what took place there and how that attack took place it became clear that there were terrorists who had planned that attack."
Despite the increasing pressure to find out what really happened, several media outlets are reporting that the FBI still has not reached Benghazi to investigate.