WASHINGTON -- President Obama boasted his administration would be the most transparent administration ever. But critics seeking to get to the bottom of last year's Sept. 11 assault on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, would disagree.
They've got the White House on the defensive, responding to a barrage of questions about the attack that claimed the lives of four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.
"It's about the government lying; it's about people being in harm's way feeling abandoned, and we've got to repair that trust," Sen. Lindsay Graham, R-S.C., said.
To critics, the administration's explanations just don't add up, and some say nearly nine months later there are more questions than answers.
"It was clear to me that everyone on those calls should have known that this was an attack - a premeditated terrorist attack," Rep. Cynthia Lummis, R-Wyo., said.
Why did former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President Obama act in the way they did regarding the Beghazi attack? Was it ineptness, or something else? William Federer, president of Amerisearch and author of the book, American Minute addressed those questions and more on "The 700 Club," June 3. Click play for the interview.
Congress has launched several investigations on Benghazi - and last month's hearing with State Department whistleblowers was followed up with a vow from congressional Republicans to continue their pursuit for the truth.
"This hearing opened the floodgates, but there are many, many more hearings we have to go through to find out the truth and find out why the truth became a lie," Lummis said.
The White House is calling the constant focus on Benghazi a "sideshow" and a "political circus." But critics say they mean business.
Last week, Darrell Issa, the Republican chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, subpoenaed "all documents and communications referring or relating to the Benghazi talking points" to current and former State Department officials.
In addition, the Republican National Committee filed a Freedom of Information Act request for correspondence between the State Department and President Obama's 2012 re-election campaign.
The RNC believes at the very least, the administration misled Americans about the attack.