The governor of New York is scheduled to hold a private meeting Tuesday to discuss the Muslim mosque planned two blocks from New York City's Ground Zero.
Gov. David Paterson and Catholic Archbishop Timothy Dolan will discuss plans to offer an alternative site for the mosque. The meeting will take place at the Democratic governor's Manhattan office and will be closed to the press.
Opponents say the mosque should be moved farther away from the where Islamic terrorists attacked and destroyed the World Trade Center towers on September 11, 2001.
As more people speak out against the New York City mosque project, some question how terrorist groups will respond to the protests. CBN News Terrorism Analyst Erick Stakelbeck gave more insight on this. Click play for his comments.
Polls have shown a rising majority of New Yorkers oppose the project. According to the Associated Press, last week's Siena College poll found 63 percent of New York voters opposed the plan, with the strongest support - 36 percent - coming from New York City voters.
Paterson also has renewed his Aug. 10 offer of state assistance to the project's developers if they want to move.
The governor's spokesman, Morgan Hook, said the offer still stands despite little response from the center's planners. He said no meeting is scheduled between the governor and the center's organizers, including The Cordoba Initiative.
"The governor offered to meet with the imam and or the developers," Hook said Monday. "It still stands. He's just willing to help in any way he can to ease the tensions on this issue."
Meanwhile, House Republican leader John Boehner weighed in on the issue, Tuesday, as he also exchanged words with the White House over the economy.
"No one doubts the right of these people to build a mosque where they see fit. but just because we have the right to do something, doesn't mean it's the right thing for them to do," Boehner said. "And the American people overwhelmingly believe that this is not the right thing to do."