Several al Qaeda members have been indicted in connection with last year's plot to set off bombs in New York's subway system.
Prosecutors say the failed attack was part of a larger al Qaeda conspiracy and that similar attacks were planned in England.
Adnan Shukrijumah, an FBI most-wanted terrorist, is among the al Qaeda leaders who were added to an indictment Wednesday. Prosecutors said he was directly involved in recruiting for the attack and they are offering a $5 million reward for information that leads to his capture.
Two other men indicted -- Abid Naseer and Tariq Ur Rehman -- were linked to a previous companion plot in England.
"These charges underscore the global nature of the terrorist threat we face," said David Kris, the Justice Department's top national security prosecutor.
Three U.S. citizens were arrested in September 2009 before they could carry out the subway attack. Suspects Najibullah Zazi and Zarein Ahmedzay have plead guilty while the third man, Adis Medunjanin, awaits trial.