Rick Warren, author and the pastor of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, Calif., is at home recovering from an accident in which his eyes were burned with the sap of a firestick plant earlier this week.
Warren was admitted to the hospital briefly after the accident occurred Monday. He was released Tuesday.
"Thank you for prayers for my eyes. Another doctor visit this PM. May God use this pain for His Glory," Warren wrote on Twitter, Thursday.
He added later that a doctor put protective contacts on his corneas while he heals.
"I am NOT blind. Thank you," he said.
Spokesman A. Larry Ross told CNN that Warren was expected to make a full recovery.
According to the website, Garden Guides.com, the Firestick succulent is a showy plant that features a tangled mass of orange-red branches as thick as pencils. It is also called pencil cactus or pencil tree.
The firestick contains a toxic white sap that causes serious skin allergies, which is why utmost care during handling is essential.