Public backlash is growing against new body scanners and pat-down procedures being employed at America's airports.
Many travelers, like California software engineer John Tyner, say they're far too intrusive. But the government argues national security is at stake.
On Saturday, Tyner was planning to fly out of the San Diego International Airport to South Dakota. He got in trouble when he declined both a revealing body scan and full body pat down.
After his refusal, the 31-year-old was escorted out of security and issued a refund for his ticket. He was then told to go back through security because it's against federal law to start the security process and not finish it.
"The whole thing just seemed ridiculous. ... I don't intend to fly until these machines go away," he told CNN.
The incident, which Tyner captured on his cell phone, represents the frustration of other passengers at more than 60 airports now using the full body scans.
"We're spending inordinate amounts of money on security that isn't necessary and arguably doesn't work," Tyner said.
The government insists the pat downs help find dangerous hidden items like explosives. Security officials also point to a USA Today poll released earlier this year, showing that three-quarters of respondents approve using the new body scanners.
"Everybody wants the best possible security," TSA Administrator John Pistole told NBC News.
"The question is, What's that blend or balance, if you will, between security, safety, and privacy?" he said. "While we remain sensitive to people with those concerns, the system we have set up addresses those concerns and provides the best possible security."