The U.S. military is now accepting openly gay recruits for the first time in its history.
The Pentagon is directing recruiters to accept applications from openly gay candidates so long as they qualify under normal recruiting guidelines.
The military is acting on a recent federal court ruling that struck down "don't ask, don't tell," the policy banning homosexuals from openly serving in the armed forces.
On Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Virginia Phillips refused the Obama administration's request to stay her ruling while it appeals the case.
CBN News spoke with Peter Sprigg of the Family Research Council about the recent 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' ruling. Click play for his comments.
The White House supports repealing "don't ask don't tell," but says it should happen in an orderly manner and not by a judge's order.
"Judge Phillips' refusal to grant an emergency stay is an incredible display of contempt for the Constitution and our nation's military leaders who say overturning this law will be enormously disruptive for the men and women who defend our country," said Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, a conservative advocacy group based in Washington that supports the policy.
So far, at least three service members discharged for being gay have begun the re-enlistment process.
"Gay people have been fighting for equality in the military since the 1960s," said Aaron Belkin, executive director of the Palm Center, a think tank on gays and the military at the University of California Santa Barbara.
"It took a lot to get to this day," Belkin said.
Meanwhile, military recruits are being warned that the decision could be reversed at any point.