Army officials say a Muslim soldier who went AWOL over the Fourth of July weekend was planning an attack on Fort Hood.
Pfc. Naser Jason Abdo admitted to the plot against the Texas Army base Thursday, according to an email alert sent to all Army units.
Abdo had received conscientious objector status earlier this year because of his faith.
"Overall, as a Muslim I feel that I will not be able to carry out my military duties due to my conscientious objection," Abdo wrote in his application for the status.
"Therefore, unless I separate myself from the military, I would potentially be putting the soldiers I work with in jeopardy," he said.
In the same application he condemned the 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage that left 13 dead, saying such acts "run counter to what I believe in as a Muslim."
But ABC News reports that Abdo told law enforcement that he was inspired by the 2009 Fort Hood rampage.
He reportedly planned to detonate bombs at two restaurants popular with Fort Hood personnel and shoot any survivors.
Police say local store clerk Greg Ebert is the man who stopped him.
The former Marine became suspicious when Abdo tried to buy ammunition at his gun shop on July 3 but didn't know much about what he was doing.
"If somebody comes in, especially into a business like this, and makes a purchase and doesn't know what he is buying, I would be concerned about that," Ebert said. "I am not bashful at all to point a finger and say, 'there is something wrong with this guy.'"
The FBI said there's no evidence that Abdo was working with others and plans to charge him with possessing bomb-making materials.
CBN News Terrorism Analyst Erick Stakelbeck is closely watching Abdo's case. Click below for his comments.