Gov. Rick Perry's GOP debate debacle gave late night comedians some extra material Thursday evening.
Perry made an appearance on CBS's "The Late Show with David Letterman," poking fun at a very uncomfortable moment he experienced during the GOP debate Wednesday night in Rochester, Mich. Even though he tried, he just couldn't remember the name of the third government agency he would eliminate as president.
When he realized he couldn't remember, Perry simply stopped talking, smiled and said, "Oops."
He later said he would eliminate the Commerce, Education and Energy departments.
Perry appeared on the program to give Letterman's popular Top Ten list segment as "Top 10 Rick Perry Excuses" why he couldn't remember.
- 10. "Actually there were three reasons I messed up last night. One was the nerves, two was the headache and three was, and three, uh, uh. Oops."
- 9. "I don't know what you're talking about. I think things went well."
- 8. "Hey, I was up late last night watching `Dancing With The Stars.'"
- 7. "I thought the debate was tonight."
- 6. "Hey, listen. You try concentrating with Mitt Romney smiling at you. That is one handsome dude."
- 5. "Uh, el nino?"
- 4. "I had a five-hour energy drink six hours before the debate."
- 3. "I really hoped to get on my favorite talk show, but instead I ended up here."
- 2. "Hey, I wanted to help take the heat off my buddy Herman Cain."
- 1. "I just learned Justin Bieber is my father."
Political analysts say the Perry campaign can't afford another misstep like that one.