Parents Seek Answers over Carbon Monoxide Scare

Ad Feedback

Parents in Atlanta want answers after a health scare created panic at a local elementary school Monday.

State inspectors are still searching for the cause of a carbon monoxide leak that forced the evacuation of 500 children from Fitch Elementary School.

More than 50 students and adults were rushed to the hospital after being exposed the deadly gas.

One student said his teacher was in the middle of talking about a project when they all passed out.

"It hurted like right here, pretty bad," student Naqaviya Notae said.

One-by-one, students began raising their hands, complaining of headaches, nausea, and dizziness.

Panic spread within an hour and the schools principal Carol Evans ordered the evacuation.

"My baby's at the hospital and he already has bronchitis and asthma and I told them that and they wouldn't go check for me or nothing," complained concerned parent, Tokie Price. 

Other parents who rushed to the scene reported kids laying on the floor.

Firefighters detected carbon monoxide levels reaching as high as 1,700 parts per million and declared it a mass case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Health officials say people should limit their exposure to only 50 parts per million over an 8-hour period.

"The readings are at that level that it would only take about three seconds of exposure to have somebody pass out, so they're extremely dangerous readings," Battalion Chief Todd Edwards, with the Atlanta Fire Department, said

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and even death.

Atlanta school leaders believe a faulty boiler is to blame and said the school will be closed until necessary repairs are made.

Until then, students will attend classes at a nearby middle school.

Log in or create an account to post a comment.  

CBN IS HERE FOR YOU!

Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting? Are you facing a difficult situation?

Find peace with God, discover more about God or send us your prayer request.

Call The 700 Club Prayer Center at 1 (800) 823-6053, 24 hours a day.

A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.

Caitlyn Burke

Caitlyn Burke

CBN News

CBN News is a national/international, nonprofit news organization that provides programming by cable, satellite, and the Internet, 24-hours a day. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.