Boston Bombing Suspect in Serious Condition

Ad Feedback

The younger suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings remains hospitalized and in serious condition.

Police captured 19-year-old Dzhokhar "Jahar" Tsarnaev late Friday in Watertown, Massachusetts. He had been badly wounded and is now recovering at a Boston hospital guarded by armed officers.

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick says although the surviving suspect is in serious condition, he is stable. But he likely can't communicate yet.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev had eluded law officers for almost 24-hours after his brother and co-conspirator in the bombings, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was killed in a gun battle with them.

The two brothers were on the run after being identified as suspects in Monday's Boston Marathon bombing where three people were killed and almost 200 more were wounded.

Related Story: Captured: Second Boston Bombing Suspect Caught. It includes our Friday Newswatch reports with more background on the brothers and insight into what may have influenced their actions.

The brothers also are suspects in the death of  MIT campus safety officer Sean Collier.

They allegedly shot and killed him in an ambush then stole a car. Then they reportedly led officers on a chase that ended in a firefight that included guns and explosives.

Watertown Police Chief Edward Deveau says the suspects admitted to their carjacking victim they bombed Monday's race and killed a police officer.

A car chase and shootout ensued when a Watertown officer saw the two brothers in different cars and followed them.

The suspects exchanged gunfire with police, wounding a transit officer and tossing a bomb and two hand grenades.

Deveau says Tamerlan Tsarnaev ran out of ammunition and police tackled him, before Dzhokhar Tsarnaev drove the carjacking victim's Mercedes toward them.

Police dove out of the way and the Mercedes dragged the other suspect's body down the block.

A doctor involved in treating the dead suspect says he had injuries head to toe and all limbs intact when he arrived at the hospital. After 15 minutes of unsuccessful treatment, doctors pronounced him dead.

The older Tsarnaev's clothes had been cut off by emergency responders at the scene, so if he had been wearing a vest with explosives, he wasn't by the time he arrived at the hospital, the doctor said.

An official motive for the marathon bombing attack is still unknown. But the FBI said a foreign government told it in early 2011 about information that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was a follower of radical Islam.

According to the FBI, the foreign government said Tamerlan Tsarnaev had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States to join unspecified underground groups. The FBI says it interviewed him and relatives and didn't find any terrorism activity.

Over the last few days, officials have been examining clues about the suspects' background. The Tsarnaev's are ethnic Chechens who lived in the Dagestan region of southern Russia.

CBN News has reported on the growth of radical Islam in this region of the world. Click here for the report.

The younger Tsarnaev was finally found late Friday evening after authorities lifted a lock-down on the Boston Metro area.

Watertown resident Warren Tolman went outside after that and noticed something different with his boat in his backyard. He lifted the tarp covering it and found Tsarnaev.

"It's unbelievable, I was cooped up in my house for almost the last 24 hours wondering if the guy was in my backyard, if he was in my garage or in my neighborhood."

Much to his surprise that was the case. Tolman found Tsarnaev bloody, wounded, and weak from his gun battle.

So weak, agents and officers say, that they haven't been able to question him.

Police announced via Twitter that  Tsarnaev was in custody: "CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody."

Residents, who've been on edge all week, say it was the news they'd been waiting to hear.

"It brings a sigh of relief and I think that it really allows us to start the healing process," said Watertown's Heather Budda.

Just blocks away from the bombing sites, students from Boston University gathered after hearing the news.

Wrapped in an American flag, BU student Aaron Wengertsman said, "I'm glad they caught him alive."

Others in Boston and beyond, took to the streets to celebrate. They chanted, "USA! USA!"

Sources: AP, APTN, ABC News



Log in or create an account to post a comment.  


Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting? Are you facing a difficult situation?

Find peace with God, discover more about God or send us your prayer request.

Call The 700 Club Prayer Center at 1 (800) 823-6053, 24 hours a day.

A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.

CBN News

CBN News is a national/international, nonprofit news organization that provides programming by cable, satellite, and the Internet, 24-hours a day. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.