One week to the hour after the attack, residents and officials held a moment of silence Monday for the victims of the bombing that turned their city upside down.
And in the suburb of Medford, hundreds lined the streets, along with Boston teamsters and firefighters, to pay respects at the first funeral of a victim, 29-year-old Krystle Campbell.
The city as a whole is also looking for ways to recover from a week that has left many shaken, confused and angry.Cardinal Sean Patrick O'Malley, archbishop of Boston, suggested forgiveness is crucial to the city's healing.
"Forgiveness does not mean that we do not realize the heinousness of the crime, but in our own hearts when we are unable to forgive, we make ourselves a victim of our own hatred," he said.
Meanwhile, government prosecutors charged Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar "Johar" Tsarnaev with conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction as he lay in his hospital room.
The 19-year-old suspect is unable to speak because of a neck injury but has been able to respond sporadically in writing to questions.
Authorities are trying to learn what led to Johar and his brother Tamerlane's' alleged involvement in the Boston Marathon attack and whether they had any help.
Daveed Gartenstein-Ross with the Foundation For Defense of Democracies shared his thoughts on what may have led to the Tsarnaev brothers' radicalization on Newswatch, April 22.
"I'm not convinced at all that they were planning more attacks. I mean, that's hearsay. I haven't got any information about that. But you have to be vigilant," Boston Mayor Tom Merino said. The city's police commissioner said a large store of weapons indicates they probably were planning more destruction.
"They clearly had other explosives," Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said. "They detonated those explosives at the scene of the arrest and shootout in Watertown. We feel that they had plans to use those explosives, possibly on soft targets."
Investigators are also trying to piece together whether the two brothers acted alone or as part of a larger sleeper cell. The investigation is prompting renewed concerns about the FBI's effectiveness in monitoring home-grown terrorists.
In 2011, the FBI questioned the older brother, Tamerlane, at the request of Russian security services in but closed the case. Now authorities say the 26-year-old traveled overseas to Russia and Chechnya just last year.
Could there have been a larger terrorist cell at work in last week's bombings? CBN News Terrorism Analyst Erick Stakelbeck addressed that question and more on "The 700 Club," April 22.
Several leading members of Congress wanted Johar declared an enemy combatant in order to assist if need be in tying the two brothers to a wider jihadi network.
"Somehow he got off the radar screen and travelled overseas to one of the most dangerous parts of the world," Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, said.
Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., said, "The fact is we've stopped 16 plots in New York because we know that al Qaeda is shifting its tactics. It's not going to be attackers from overseas. We've been able to prevent that. They are getting people in our country who are under the radar screen.
But the White House announced Monday afternoon he will be tried as a civilian.