Palestinians knocked down more of the fence along the Egypt-Gaza border today, causing yet another breach.
Thousands of Palestinians, many of them carrying empty fuel cans, managed to push past guards with riot shields. Men in black clothing, some in masks, stood on top of a bulldozer as it wrecked another section of the fence along the border, as Egyptian forces watched.
Egyptian forces fired shots into the air in an unsuccessful attempt to stop them.
The border was first breached Wednesday when Palestinian militants blew up large sections of the border wall. Israel had closed off the Gaza strip in response to ongoing Palestinian rocket attacks.
Since the breach, Egypt has allowed tens of thousands of Palestinians to go back and forth with food, fuel, and other supplies.
Earlier this week, Israeli Deputy Defense Minister Matan Vilnai said Israel gradually wants to relinquish responsibility for Gaza, now that its border with Egypt was blown open.
Other Israeli officials agreed, saying the the border breach could pave the way for increasingly disconnecting from the territory.
State Department spokesman Tom Casey said Friday that "Egypt understands that it needs to act to control its border. It's a sovereign state, and it needs to have control over its sovereign border."
In response to the border breach, the Israeli military raised its level of alert Thursday, warning that militants were among the Palestinians who entered Egypt.
Sources: CBN News, The Associated Press