While President Barack Obama considers whether to send 40,000 new U.S. troops to Afghanistan, the situation next door in Pakistan continues to deteriorate.
A bomb hit a military convoy in Pakistan Monday morning, killing 41 people.
The attack came as the country's military continued to recover a siege on its headquarters over the weekend.
More than100 people died after four days of terrorist attacks that have rocked the Pakistani military to its core.
Taliban fighters raided Pakistan's national military headquarters in Rawalpindi.
The assault on Pakistan's pentagon, which lies just outside the capital city of Islamabad, was unprecedented. The attackers wore military uniforms to trick security guards at the heavily fortified facility.
What followed was a 22-hour siege that left 10 soldiers, four civilians and nine of the 10 attackers dead.
A pakistani military spokesman said the attackers wanted Taliban prisoners freed in exchange for hostages.
"They gave a long list of all those who had been apprehended, the terrorists, who are in our custody, the custody of the government," said Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas. "They wanted their release. This was their main demand."
The attack in Rawalpindi was followed by a suicide car bombing in northwest Pakistan, Monday, that killed 41 people. A similar attack in the city of Peshawar killed 49 last week, while a strike against a United Nations aid agency in Islamabad killed five.
"Every one in Pakistan is in danger at this time," said Zafar Iqbal. "Anyone leaving his house cannot be sure whether he ill return home alive or not. This is the sort of environment that has been created."
The Taliban onslaught comes as the Pakistani military prepares a major operation in south Waziristan, along Pakistan's rugged tribal border with Afghanistan.
Waziristan has long been a stronghold for the Taliban and al Qaeda.