Haiti's President Rene Preval said Monday it will take three long years to clear the rubble of last month's deadly earthquake.
Preval said it would take "1,000 trucks moving rubble for 1,000 days" before people could even begin to rebuild.
Haiti's president added that fewer Haitians will likely live in the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince when the reconstruction process is over.
The presidential palace and Preval's own private home were destroyed in the Jan. 12 earthquake. In an exclusive interview with the Associated Press, he admitted he is still afraid to sleep under concrete in case another quake strikes.
"Like you, I am nervous to be under cement," he said.
The president is not alone. Many houses that survived the earthquake remain unoccupied as many Haitains are uncertain the dwellings can survive another disaster.
Approximately 54 aftershocks have rocked Port-au-Prince since last month's quake.
Meanwhile the U.S. Geological Survey predicted in January there was a 90 percent possibility another magnitude-5 quake would strike in the coming month. They also predicted a15 percent likelihood a magnitude-6 quake occurring, and a 2 percent possibility of a tremor as big or bigger than the one in January.