Experts warned Tuesday that aftershocks in Christchurch, New Zealand could go on for weeks following a powerful 7.1 magnitude earthquake that struck the region over the weekend.
There have been more than 100 shocks since the quake struck Saturday, and on Monday night, there were 20.
Scientists say that the aftershocks might come less often in the coming weeks, but they wont necessarily get smaller. The worst could still be to come.
The original quake created a new 11-foot fault line. No one was killed, but many homes, buildings and roads were wrecked.
"It was as strong as the earthquake in Haiti earlier this year, which caused widespread devastation and is estimated to have killed approximately 230,000 people," Prime Minister John Key said Tuesday. "Although no one lost their life ... families have been traumatized and lost their valued possessions."
"We're continuing to check all of the infrastructure across the city," Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said. "Clearly we can't get to it all in the first few hours of an event like this. It's going to take us probably days if not weeks to complete that assessment."
Damages from the quake have been estimated to be around $2 billion.