UK Detains Six Men in Alleged Threat to Pope

Ad Feedback

British police arrested five street cleaners in a Friday pre-dawn raid over suspicions they were plotting an attack against Pope Benedict XVI, on the second day of his visit to the UK.

Police nabbed five of the suspects in a part of London the pope was not scheduled to visit. Authorities said the men were from North Africa and ranged in age from 26 to 50 years old. A sixth suspect, aged 29, was arrested later Friday while at home.

CBN News Terror Analyst Erick Stakelbeck talks about how serious this threat was against the pope. Click play for his comments on CBN Newswatch, Sept. 17.

Initial searches of the men's homes and businesses did not turn up any hazardous items. So far, they have not been charged with any crime.
    
Despite the threat, the Vatican did not cancel or make any changes to the pope's schedule.
 
"We have complete trust in the police," Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi told reporters. "The police are taking the necessary measures. The situation is not particularly dangerous."
     
"The pope is happy about this trip and is calm," he said.

Log in or create an account to post a comment.  

CBN IS HERE FOR YOU!

Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting? Are you facing a difficult situation?

Find peace with God, discover more about God or send us your prayer request.

Call The 700 Club Prayer Center at 1 (800) 823-6053, 24 hours a day.

A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.

 CBNNews.com

CBNNews.com

CBN News is a national/international, nonprofit news organization that provides programming by cable, satellite, and the Internet, 24-hours a day. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.