Deadly Afghan Attack: Two Blasts Hit U.S. Troops

Ad Feedback

Eight U.S. troops who were killed while on foot patrol in southern Afghanistan Thursday were hit by two consecutive blasts.

The first explosion wounded some of the service members, while the second came as others rushed to help the injured, NATO said.

The Taliban have claimed responsibility for Thursday's attack in the southern Kandahar province.

The Kandahar attack started as the troops began to inspect a suspicious object they found while patrolling on foot in the mountainous Shorabak district, 12 miles from the Pakistan border.

Forty coalition service members have been killed this month. So far this year, 191 coalition troops have died in Afghanistan.

Insurgents declared the start of a spring offensive on May 1 against NATO and the Afghan government. The offensive could affect the size of President Barack Obama's planned drawdown of U.S. troops in July.

Gen. David Petraeus, top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, has said the size of the withdrawal will depend on conditions on the ground.

Log in or create an account to post a comment.  

CBN IS HERE FOR YOU!

Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting? Are you facing a difficult situation?

Find peace with God, discover more about God or send us your prayer request.

Call The 700 Club Prayer Center at 1 (800) 823-6053, 24 hours a day.

A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.

CBNNews.com

CBNNews.com

CBN News is a national/international, nonprofit news organization that provides programming by cable, satellite, and the Internet, 24-hours a day. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.