Seven American pro-democracy workers on trial in Egypt for fomenting unrest posted a $5 million bail on Thursday and left the country before a travel ban was imposed.
However, U.S. State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland stressed the legal case in Egypt is still not resolved.
"As you know, we had been concerned that this incident could have a severe impact on all of the things that we want to do together going forward," Nuland told reporters.
"The departure of our people doesn't resolve the legal case or the larger issues," she said.
The seven workers were among a group of 16 Americans on trial. Nine other workers had already fled the North African country. Bail was set by Egyptian officials on Thursday for all 16 Americans and was paid by U.S. officials.
One of the seven flying out of Egypt on a special plane to Cyprus was Sam LaHood, son of U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. He was the head of the International Republican Institute office in Cairo, a well established pro-democracy group.
Ray Lahood welcomed the development.
"I'm pleased the court has lifted the travel ban and am looking forward to my son's arrival in the U.S.," he said in a statement. "I'd like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers during this time."
Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and other U.S. senators said that the crisis "may have tested" U.S.-Egypt ties, but "the strength of our relationship prevailed."
Even though the workers have left Egypt, the trial will continue. It has been postponed until April.