Republicans are calling for an independent investigation of last year's Sept. 11 attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, left four Americans dead.
The head of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is pursuing depositions from retired Adm. Mike Mullen and retired Ambassador Thomas Pickering.
Pickering, who led the initial investigation into the attacks and the Obama administration's response, maintains there is no evidence high-level State Department officials were responsible.
"They've tried to point the finger at people more senior than where we found the decisions were made," Pickering told CBS's "Face the Nation."
"The decisions were made and reviewed at the level that we fixed responsibility for failures of performance," he continued. "Those people were named in the report."
"Two of the four that we felt failed in their performance were, under our recommendation, relieved of their jobs," he said. "The State Department is now considering what further steps to take. I believe that that's correct."
But Republicans say new revelations that the talking points went through a dozen revisions show the administration was trying to hide something.
"I would call it a cover-up in the extent that there was willful removal of information, which was obvious. It was obvious," Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said in a Sunday interview with ABC's "This Week."
McCain went on to say, "We need a select committee that interviews everybody. I don't know what level of scandal quote, unquote, this rises to. But I know it rises to the level where it requires a full and complete ventilation of these facts."
"Now here we are nine months later, and we're still uncovering information, which frankly contradicts the original line that the administration took. And so, we need the select committee, and I hope we'll get it. And the American people deserve it," McCain concluded.
Congress will hold a number of hearings to look into the Benghazi affair in coming weeks.