Saving a Dysfunctional Marriage, Part 4
By Marita Littauer with Chuck
Noon, MA, LPCC
-- What happens in a marriage when one spouse feels that (s)he has "out-grown" the other?
In this week’s practical installment—“The Interaction”—you’ll explore a “homework assignment” intended to help a couple grow together, rather than apart.
If you have missed any prior segment, go back and read parts one, two, and three before reading this final segment.
For couples in a similar situation to Elizabeth and Ed, Chuck would assign the following “homework” assignment:
For the Wife:
1. Describe specifically how things would be different if your husband were the spiritual heavy weight in the home. The greater the detail the better.
2. List what you are doing to bring about your half of the ideal home that you envision
3. List specifically what you expect from your husband in achieving this goal. How would your husband be different if he were the spiritual leader of the home? Have you given him permission and the opportunity to be the spiritual leader or has he been in a one-down position where he feels that he cannot compete
4. What role has your spouse played in the current level of growth that you now enjoy?
For the Husband:
1. Describe the changes you have seen in your wife over the years and how you feel about them.
2. What steps are you willing to take to fulfill your role as spiritual leader in the home?
Read Marita's previous columns.
Marita Littauer is a professional speaker with more than twenty-five years experience. She is the author of 17 books Including Personality Puzzle, Communication Plus, The Praying Wives Club, Tailor-Made Marriage—from which this column is derived, and her newest, Wired That Way. Marita is the President of CLASServices Inc., an organization that provides resources, training and promotion for speakers and authors. Marita and her husband Chuck Noon have been married since 1983. For more information on Marita and/or CLASS, please visit www.classervices.com or call 800/433-6633.
Chuck Noon has worked as a professional counselor--licensed in two states. He holds a BA in Motion Picture Production from Brooks Institute and an MA in Marriage, Family and Child Counseling from the University of San Diego. He has worked with hundreds of families and couples in many varieties of settings. Currently, Chuck is working in mental healthcare management. Chuck and Marita live in the mountains outside of Albuquerque.
CBN IS HERE FOR YOU!
Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting?
Are you facing a difficult situation?
A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.