"Never before has a date in history been so significant to so many cultures, so many religions, scientists and governments.”
2012 Predictions Provoke Media Storm
By Dr. Mark Hitchcock
The headline was seen all over the world. The first news item that flashed across the internet on July 6, 2008, was an article titled “Thousands Expect Apocalypse in 2012.” The article was excerpted from an ABC News investigation on the global rise in "doomsday cults." The opening sentence of the article said it all: “Survival groups around the world are gearing up and counting down to a mysterious date that has been anticipated for thousands of years: December 21, 2012.”
Since that time, 2012 has been showing up everywhere. There are thousands of Web sites devoted to 2012. On several sites there are official 2012 countdown clocks that will give you an up-to-the-second indicator of how long we have to wait for the end of the world. It looks like for many people the countdown has officially begun! Books on 2012 are flying off the shelves. Network news, cable channels, and major Internet outlets are featuring programs and articles on the 2012 phenomenon.
Just a Few Examples:
- History Channel: “Decoding the Past—Doomsday 2012: The End of Days”
- History Channel: “The Lost Book of Nostradamus and 2012”
- AOL News: “Thousands Expect Apocalypse in 2012”
- ABC News: “Will the World End in 2012? Thousands Worldwide Prepare for the Apocalypse, Expected in 2012”
- Fox & Friends: “It’s the End of the World: Mayan Calendar Ends in 2012”
- Geraldo Rivera (Fox News): “Fact or Fiction: Will the World End in 2012?”
- USA Today: “Does Maya calendar predict 2012 apocalypse”
- Los Angeles Times: “Many gather to ponder end of Maya days”
- New York Post: “2012: The End is Nigh!”
- U.S. News and World Report: “Apocalypse 2012: Are the Final Days Coming Soon? New Doomsdayers Adapt a Mayan Prediction”
- Newsweek: “2012: A Y2K for the New Age”
Recently, NPR ran an article titled “Mayan Calendar Spurs End-Of-The-World Debate” (7/29/09), and the Telegraph.co.uk headline on 9/3/09 was “2012: Will it be the end of the world as we know it.” On top of all of this is the $200 million movie 2012 from director Roland Emmerich set to release on Nov. 13, 2009. You can watch the movie trailer on the 2012 movie Web site. It’s all-out, apocalyptic destruction.
So, what’s all the furor about? Could 12.21.12 be the end of the world? Many believe that it will be. Did the ancient Mayans know Earth’s expiration date? The tagline for the movie 2012 is “Find out the truth . . . if you dare.” I invite you to join me in taking this dare as we the truth behind these predications about 2012 and the end of the world.
Do you need hope for the future? Find peace with God
More on 2012 and the End of the World
Related ChurchWatch Blog: 2012: The End of the World?
Bring it On: End Times Questions
Send your e-mail prayer request
More Perspectives on Spiritual Life
More from Spiritual Life
Dr. Mark Hitchcock is the author of the new book 2012, the Bible, and the End of the World (Harvest House Publishers). Senior pastor at Faith Bible Church in Oklahoma, he is leading the "call for reason" among Christians on the topic of 2012.
CBN IS HERE FOR YOU!
Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting?
Are you facing a difficult situation?
A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.