Isn't Christianity Just an Emotional Experience?
By Dianne E. Butts
When a person newly understands that Jesus is God and took his or her death penalty for sin on himself, it can definitely be an emotional experience. When he or she has crossed over from eternal death to eternal life, that can be an emotional experience, too.
But the emotional experience is not all there is to Christianity.
Some think when they have a religious experience and suddenly want to live well and do good in the world, that is Christianity. They may get some emotional joy out of helping others, but that is not Christianity.
Christianity is based on facts:
- That there is only one true God.
- That He is perfect and holy and requires all who enter his presence to be the same (without sin).
- That since Adam and Eve introduced sin into the world, everyone born has sinned.
- That the only way, then, for us to enter God’s presence and survive is to have our sins dealt with.
- That the only way to deal with our sins is to die for them -- or to have someone else step in to die for us.
- That the only person qualified to step in for us must be a perfect sacrifice (sinless), and the only one who can live sinless is God Himself. So God came as a man, Jesus, and took the death penalty for our sins upon Himself on the cross.
- And that anyone who accepts this fact (believes it, understands it, owns it for themselves) is saved from the death penalty of sin and will spend eternity in the presence of God (in heaven).
Those are facts. Facts are not based on emotion. Facts are facts.
Emotions come and go, ebb and flow like waves on a shore. Anything based on emotions will also rise and fall, grow and fade, wax and wane.
True Christian faith is based on reason and understanding of God’s history of work on earth. When a person truly understands and believes in Christ (the definition of a Christian), then his or her faith stands strong through any emotional episode.
Emotions may erupt and fade, but true faith remains.
Do You Want a Relationship with God?
If you want to have a relationship with God, and know that the shed blood of Jesus will cover your sins, pray this prayer right now:
Lord Jesus Christ, I believe that you took the pain of the cross to give me new life. I ask you to come into my life and to give me your peace and joy. I confess that I am a sinner -- that I have gone my own way and have done wrong. Please forgive me for my sins. I receive you now as my Lord and Savior. Please fill me with your Holy Spirit. Help me to follow you and to serve you all my life. Thank you, Lord Jesus. Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, you are now a child of God. The things of your old life have passed away and He has made all things new.
We want to join you in celebrating your new life. Please send us an e-mail to let us know that you prayed to receive Jesus as your Savior. Or you can call our Prayer Counseling Center at (800) 759-0700. A caring friend is available to talk with you and send you some resources to help you begin your walk with the Lord.
Learn more about new life in Jesus Christ
Gordon Robertson: What does it mean to be 'born again?'
A Higher Calling: Guide to Christian Life
What is Truth?
your prayer request
a church near you
Living by the Book: Learn more about being a Christian
CBN Teaching Sheets
Learn more about the Bible at our Spiritual Life section
1. NIV Study Bible text note on Matthew 1:21
Find more answers by Dianne E. Butts at www.DianneEButts.com: www.ButtsAboutIt.com; and www.ButtsAboutIt.blogspot.com
CBN IS HERE FOR YOU!
Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting?
Are you facing a difficult situation?
A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.