The Christian Broadcasting Network

Browse Videos

Share Email

Studio 5: Rock Concert With A Cause

Go inside the Vans Warped Tour with Members of “Silent Planet” and “August Burns Red” to see how their music delivers the gospel message. Plus, get a glimpse at organizations delivering music fans from dark places in life. Read Transcript


Efrem: SECONDS AWAY

ON "STUDIO 5"...

*

[CHEERING]

Efrem: WE TAKE YOU

INSIDE ONE OF THE SUMMER'S

BIGGEST ROCK MUSIC

FESTIVALS.

BEING ABLE TO BE A PART

OF THIS IS BECAUSE YOU ALL

SUPPORTED US.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Efrem: WE'LL TALK TO

THE FRONT MAN OF THE HEAVY

METAL BAND "SILENT MUSIC."

I KNEW BECAUSE I LOVED

JESUS, AND JESUS HAS

TRANSFORMED MY LIFE.

Efrem: MEET THE GUY

WHO MAKES LIFE EASIER ON

THE ROAD.

A LOT OF TIMES FOOD IS

A STRUGGLE.

Efrem: AND HEAR FROM

THE GROUP SHARING A

MESSAGE OF HOPE THROUGH

THE NOISE.

HOPE IS SOMETHING WE'RE

STRONG BELIEVERS IN.

Efrem: IT IS GOING TO

GET LOUD FOR TODAY'S ROCK

AND ROLL EDITION OF

"STUDIO 5," AND IT STARTS

NOW.

*

*

[CHEERING]

Efrem: AND THOSE ARE

JUST SOME OF THE SIGHTS

AND SOUNDS FROM THE BAND'S

TOUR WHEN IT MADE ITS STOP

HERE.

IT TOURS THE COUNTRY,

FEATURING ABOUT 100 BANDS.

"STUDIO 5" IS TAKING YOU

INSIDE THE ACTION WITH AN

INTERVIEW WITH GARRETT

RUSSELL, THE LEAD SINGER

OF "SILENT PLANET."

FIRST, LET'S TAKE A LOOK

AT THE HEADLINES.

THIS IS YOUR WEEK'S TOP

FIVE FROM "STUDIO 5."

*

Efrem: THE ANNUAL

TEEN CHOICE WORLD TRADE AWARDS COMES

IN THE AT NUMBER FIVE.

WOULD YOU STOP IT!

Efrem: CANDACE

CAMERON BURE AND THE

"FULLER HOUSE" CREW TOOK

HOME HONORS, BUT IT WAS

TEMPERED WITH A SERIOUS

CALL TO STOP THE VIOLENCE.

MANY OF THOSE IMPACTED

BY THESE ACTS OF VIOLENCE

ARE TEENS.

I'M JOLENE.

I'M COLIN.

JOLENE AND COLIN WAKE

UP EVERY DAY MISSING THEIR

MOTHER.

BENETTA, WHO WAS ONE OF

THE 14 PEOPLE KILLED IN

SAN BERNARDINO.

Efrem: AT NUMBER

FOUR:

LET US HAVE A GREAT

DAY, AND GIVE HOPE AND

HEALING FOR EVERYBODY

WATCHING.

Efrem: THE SUMMER

TEST RUN FOR THE

PREACHERS' TALK SHOW IS

OVER.

THE TWO OF YOU HAVE AN

OPEN RELATIONSHIP.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN,

YOU'RE OPEN 24 HOURS.

Efrem: THE PASTOR

FOUND THEMSELVES

APOLOGIZING.

LET ME SAY THANK YOU TO

ALL OF MY HATERS.

Efrem: AFTER NEARLY

SEVEN MILLION PEOPLE

LOGGED ON TO HEAR HIM

JOKING ABOUT OPEN

MARRIAGE, MANY BLASTING

HIM ON SOCIAL MEDIA.

MY MOTHER CALLED ME

"SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE,"

TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT

DID I MEAN LAUGHING ABOUT

OPEN MARRIAGES.

I'M NOT TALKING TO ANY OF

THE MILLIONS OF YOU ALL

WATCHING.

THIS IS DEAR MAMA, PLEASE

KNOW THAT I STILL BELIEVE

A MARRIAGE IS BETWEEN TWO

PEOPLE AND WHAT GOD HAS

BROUGHT TOGETHER LET

NOBODY PUT ASUNDER.

Efrem: STILL NO WORD

IF THE SHOW WILL GET A

GREEN LIGHT AFTER THIS

TEST RUN.

BUT T.D. JAKES ENTER THE

ARENA IN THE FALL.

> NOW AT NUMBER THREE:

OH, I HAVE FOUND A

GREAT BOOK.

Efrem: FOR THE FIRST

TIME IN A YEAR, OPRAH

WINFREY ADDS A NEW TITLE

TO HER BOOK GROUP.

SHE CALLS IT A GRIM,

GRIPPING, POWERFUL NOVEL

ABOUT SLAVERY.

I FIRST CAME UP WITH

THE BOOK ABOUT 16 YEARS

AGO.

I THINK MANY PEOPLE, WHEN

THEY HEARD ABOUT THE

UNDERGROUND RAILROAD, THEY

THINK OF A SUBWAY.

Efrem: STICKING WITH

THE BOOK THEM BRINGS US TO

NUMBER TWO: FANS ARE

EXCITED FOR THE LATEST

STORY IN THE "HARRY

POTTER" FRANCHISE.

"HARRY POTTER AND THE

CURSED CHILD."

IT COINCIDED WITH THE

THEATRICAL VERSION

OPENING

ON THE BRITISH STAGE.

BUT THE FICTIONAL WORK IS

NOT WITHOUT CRITICS.

> ON TO NUMBER ONE.

EVERYONE KNOWS ME AS

THE SMILEY GABBY.

Efrem: GABBY DOUGLAS

IS AMONG THE ONES TO WATCH

WHEN THE 2016 OLYMPIC

GAMES KICK OFF IN RIO.

I TOLD YOU WHAT I THINK

ABOUT.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT?

NOTHING.

NOTHING GOES THROUGH MY

MIND.

YOU CAN'T OVERTHINK

BECAUSE GYMNASTICS IS

TOUGH ALREADY.

Efrem: SHE IS SHARING

HER PERSONAL JOURNEY IN

THIS INTERVIEW IN A

MAGAZINE.

THE FLYING SQUIRREL IS ALL

GROWN UP.

I GIVE ALL OF THE GLORY

TO GOD.

IT IS KIND OF A WIN-WIN

SITUATION.

Efrem: AND THOSE ARE

YOUR TOP FIVE FROM "STUDIO

5" FOR THIS WEEK.

> YOU KNOW, IT'S ABOUT

100 OUT HERE TODAY, IN

CASE YOU CAN'T SEE THAT

I'M SWEATING.

PERHAPS THE ONLY THING

RISING FASTER THAN THE

TEMPERATURE IS THE SUCCESS

OF THE BAND "SILENT

PLANET."

AND THE LYRICS ARE FILLED

WITH THE MESSAGE OF JESUS

CHRIST.

WE CAUGHT UP WITH THE LEAD

SINGER WHO TELLS US HE

TREATS THESE VENUES AS HIS

MISSION FIELD.

YRG[YELLING]

I FEEL LIKE I'M PRETTY

SOFT-SPOKEN.

MY NAME IS GARRETT

RUSSELL, AND I SHOUT WORDS

AND WRITE THINGS IN A BAND

CALLED "SILENT PLANET."

Efrem: IT IS A HEAVY

METAL BAND FROM

LOS ANGELES.

GARRETT RUSSELL SINGS

LEADS VOCALS.

THOMAS FE FRECKEL SON IS ON FRECKELSON IS ON

BASS.

WE WERE ALL A BUNCH OF

COLLEGE NERDS, WHEN I

STARTED THIS BAND IN 2009.

AND I WAS A LITERATURE

MAJOR.

AND SO WE THOUGHT, WE KIND

OF INCORPORATE LITERATURE

INTO WHAT WE'RE DOING.

AND WE ALL LOVE C.S.

LEWIS, THAT WAS OUR FAMOUS

BOOK.

WE WERE INTERESTED ON THIS

IDEA THAT WE LIVE ON THIS

SILENT PLANET.

AND WE'RE EXPERIENCING A

SEPARATION FROM ONE

ANOTHER, AND THIS

INABILITY TO UNDERSTAND

EACH OTHER BECAUSE OF SIN,

BECAUSE OF SELFISHNESS.

Efrem: GARRETT SAYS

THE BAND IS BREAKING DOWN

BARRICADES TO BRIDGE THE

GAP BETWEEN THE CHURCH AND

THE ROCK MUSIC CULTURE.

I KNEW BECAUSE I LOVE

JESUS, AND BECAUSE JESUS

HAS TRANSFORMED MY LIFE.

I WANT PEOPLE TO ENCOUNTER

THE LOVE OF GOD THAT I

FELT IN A NON-RELIGIOUS

SETTING, AND TO EXPERIENCE

GOD.

THAT'S WHY I'VE BEEN DOING

THIS FOR SEVEN YEARS.

I WORKED TOWARDS A NEW

STAGE FOR US, BUT IT

REALLY HAS BEEN THE SAME

THING FOR SEVEN YEARS.

WE'VE KIND OF GRADUATED TO

THE PLACE WHERE WE'RE

ALLOWED TO TO BE ON THIS TOUR

NOW, AND IT'S EXCITING.

> TO BE HONEST, I THINK

BEING HERE HAS EMPOWERED

MY DESIRE FOR PEOPLE TO

KNOW THE LOVE OF JESUS

BECAUSE I SEE THAT NEED,

YOU KNOW?

*

Efrem: THEY RELEASED

THEIR FIRST FULL LENGTH

ALBUM "THE NIGHT GOD

SLEPT," IN THE FALL OF

2013.

THE SONGS DEAL WITH TOPICS

LIKE SEX TRAFFICKING IN

AMERICA, AND THE BOMBING

OF HIROSHIMA.

AND THEIR SECOND COLUMN IS

CALLED "EVERYTHING WITH

SOUND," RELEASED ONLY A

MONTH AGO WHILE ON WARPED

TOUR.

IT HAS THE SONG "PANIC

ROOM," TO "ORPHUS," A SONG

THAT SETS OUT TO CHALLENGE

PREJUDICES.

*

Efrem: THE LYRICS

HAVE ALREADY STARTED TO

REACH PEOPLE.

YESTERDAY A YOUNG MAN

CAME UP TO ME AND SAID,

THE OUR SONG, "PANIC

ROOM," HELPED HIM DEAL

WITH WHAT HE DEALT WITH

GROWING UP.

IT HELPED HIM RECONCILE

WITH HIS FATHER, AND TO

UNDERSTAND WHY HIS FATHER

WAS LIKE THAT.

I MET A GIRL WHO WAS A

SURVIVOR OF SEXUAL

ASSAULT, AND THE FACT WE

COULD BE A CHRISTIAN BAND

AND TALK ABOUT THESE

SOCIAL ISSUES WAS BIG FOR

HER TO BE A CHRISTIAN, AND

FOR HER ALSO TO STAND UP

AND SAY SEXUAL ASSAULT IS

NOT RIGHT.

Efrem: EVERYTHING IS

CLIMBING THE BILLBOARD

CHARTS, REACHING NUMBER

ONE FOR BOTH CHRISTIAN AND

HARD ROCK ALBUM, AND

FINDING A PLACE ON THE

BILLBOARD TOP 200.

IT IS DEFINITELY KIND

OF NERVE-RACKING, WHEN YOU

PUT OUT AN ALBUM.

I FEEL BOTH NERVOUS AND

GOOD ABOUT IT.

WHEN WE WRITE, WE DON'T

THINK TOO MUCH ABOUT WHO

IS GOING TO LISTEN TO IT.

WHAT GENRE WILL THIS BE

PERCEIVED AS?

WHAT WILL PEOPLE THINK?

WER JUST KIND OF LIKE

DOING IT.

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

AND WHAT COMES OUT OF IT

IS MAYBE A SONG LIKE

"PANIC ROOM," WHICH ARE A

COUPLE OF DIFFERENT GENRES

INSIDE OF A SONG.

I WAS PROUD OF MY GUYS

BECAUSE OF THE COOL MUSIC

THEY WROTE.

Efrem: WHEN WRITING A

SONG, GARRETT HAS ONE

PRIMARY GOAL: TO INTEGRATE

HIS FAITH WITH THE MUSIC

CULTURE.

IT IS SAD BECAUSE I

THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE

EXPERIENCE CHRISTIANS AS

SEGREGATED.

AND JESUS IS ABOUT

INTEGRATION.

Efrem: AND MEMBERS OF

THE COMMUNITY ARE

SUPPORTING THE "SILENT

PLANET" MISSION.

MAYBE THERE ARE CERTAIN

CHURCHES THAT WOULDN'T

WANT US TO PLAY, BUT OVER

ALL, I'VE EXPERIENCED WAY

MORE LOVE FROM THE CHURCH

THAN NEGATIVE.

NEGATIVITY.

I HAVE FOUND NO LOVE

OUTSIDE OF THE LOVE OF

GOD.

ONLY IN GOD HAVE I SEEN

LOVE, AND HAVE I BEEN ABLE

TO EXPERIENCE LOVE WITH

OTHER PEOPLE BECAUSE OF

THE LOVE I'VE EXPERIENCED

WITH GOD.

Efrem: "SILENT

PLANET," IS TOURING THIS

FALL WITH AUGUST BURNES

RED, WHO HAS STARTED A

NON-PROFIT CALLED "HEART

SUPPORT."

WE'RE LEARN A LITTLE MORE

ABOUT THAT A LITTLE LATER

IN THE SHOW.

STILL AHEAD...

THE ROAD CAN BE VERY

STRESSFUL AND TRYING AND

TIRING.

Efrem: MEET THE GUY

WHO DEDICATES HIS LIFE TO

SUPPORTING BANDS LIKE

"SILENT PLANET," WHEN ON

THE ROAD.

THAT'S ANOTHER WAY THAT

GOD USES ME, AND SAYS TO

Efrem: AND WELCOME

BACK TO "STUDIO 5" FROM

THE VIRGINIA BEACH

AMPHITHEATER.

LIFE ON THE ROAD IS HARD.

IT TAKES IT TOLL

PHYSICALLY, MENTALLY,

EMOTIONALLY, AND

SPIRITUALLY.

THAT'S WHY ONE MAN, MARK

LEWIS, HAS DECIDED TO

DEDICATE HIS LIFE TO

MAKING IT A LITTLE EASIER.

YOU JUST MET GARRETT

RUSSELL, THE LEAD SINGER

OF "SILENT PLANET," WHO

DEDICATES HIS LIFE OF

REACHING PEOPLE THROUGH

HIS MUSIC.

NOW MEET THE MAN

BEHIND-THE-SCENES WHO IS

REACHING OUT TO GARRETT.

YOU JUST DID AN

INTERVIEW WITH GARRETT.

AND EVERYONE WANTS TO TALK

TO GARRETT, AND THAT'S

GREAT.

BUT THOSE PEOPLE NEED

SOMEBODY TO LEAN ON.

I FEEL THAT GOD USES ME IN

UNIQUE WAYS IN TERMS OF

SUPPORT.

BEING ABLE TO TALK TO BAND

GUYS THAT ARE ON TOUR WITH

US, THAT MAYBE DON'T

BELIEVE IN GOD OR HAVE

QUESTIONS ABOUT GOD.

Efrem: MARK LEWIS

JOINS THE BAND ON TOUR,

WILLING TO PROVIDE SUPPORT

WHEREVER IT IS NEEDED.

I'VE BEEN OUT ON THE

ROAD I GUESS WHAT WOULD BE

CONSIDERED FULL-TIME, FOR

A LITTLE OVER THREE YEARS.

I DO IT IN PART BECAUSE IT

IS FUN AND I LOVE IT, BUT,

ALSO, IT IS A WAY THAT

I -- FOR ME TO MINISTER IN

A WAY I NEVER THOUGHT I

WOULD.

GOD IS KIND OF -- HE CAN

THROW SOME INTERESTING

THINGS IN YOUR LIFE.

I'M SURE 10 YEARS AGO I

WOULDN'T IMAGINE I WOULD

BE IN -- WHERE ARE WE,

VIRGINIA?

Efrem: AND "SILENT

PLANET" ISN'T THE ONLY

BAND HE'S TRAVELLED WITH.

I'VE TRAVELLED WITH

FINIA, AND I'VE TRAVELLED

WITH A BAND CALLED "NORMA

JEAN."

I TRAVELLED WITH A BAND

CALLED "SLEEPING GIANTS,"

AND A BAND CALLED "SAVING

GRACE."

Efrem: HE SUPPORTING

ROLE HAS RANGED FROM

SELLING T-SHIRTS TO THE

TOUR'S TRAVELLING

CHAPLAINMENT.

CHAPLAIN.

WHEN I WENT OUT WITH

FINNEYUSFINNEYIUS, WAS THE

TRAVELLING MAN.

A COUPLE OF THE SHOWS

ON THE WAY OUT, WE PLAYED

IN PHOENIX IN 120

WEATHER.

THAT'S A HUGE CHALLENGE.

IT IS HOT.

I HAVEN'T SHOWERED IN

PROBABLY A WEEK.

A LOT OF TIMES FOOD IS A

STRUGGLE.

THE ROAD CAN BE VERY

STRESSFUL.

THE ROAD CAN BE VERY

TIRING AND TRYING.

TO BE ABLE TO PICK UP

AREAS THAT MIGHT NEED TO

BE PICKED UP, THAT NO ONE

WANTS TO, TO MAYBE REFOCUS

WHERE FOCUS NEEDS TO BE.

TO JUST MAKE IT FUN.

DIFFERENT BANDS MIGHT NEED

DIFFERENT THINGS.

I GUESS THAT'S ANOTHER WAY

GOD USES ME.

Efrem: AND MARK'S

JOURNEY ON THE ROAD HAS

ALSO STRENGTHENED HIS OWN

RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST.

IT IS REALLY

INTERESTING BECAUSE I'VE

BEEN KIND OF TO A POINT

WITH MY RELATIONSHIP TO

GOD WHERE IT IS JUST,

LIKE, WHATEVER, DUDE.

LET'S JUST DO THIS.

GOD HAS TAUGHT ME TO BE

PATIENT.

I GREW UP IN NEW JERSEY,

AN EAST COAST GUY, AND I'M

VERY INTENSE.

YOU GET OUT ON THE ROAD

WITH MUSICIANS AND

ARTISTS, AND THEY'RE,

LIKE, 3:00, AND THAT COULD

MEAN 3:30, THAT COULD MEAN

4:30, OR THAT COULD MEAN

NEVER.

I THINK GOD HAS USED A LOT

OF THAT TO HELP GROW ME

AND MAKE ME MORE OF A

WHOLE PERSON.

Efrem: WHILE MARK

KNOWS EVERY TOUR HAS ITS

OBSTACLES --

LONG DRIVERS.

NO A.C. IN OUR VAN RIGHT

NOW.

YOU NAME IT, AND THERE ARE

CHALLENGES.

IN THE END, IT ALL KIND OF

WORKS OUT.

Efrem: -- HE ALSO

KNOWS --

FOR SOME OF THESE

PEOPLE IN THE BAND, YOU

MIGHT BE THE ONLY FACE OF

CHRIST IN THEIR LIVES.

I'M NOT ALWAYS PERFECT --

WHO IS -- BUT YOU DO YOUR

BEST AND GOD DOES AWESOME

THINGS.

Efrem: UP NEXT, ON

"STUDIO 5"...

EVEN AS YOU SPEAK,

YOU'RE LOVED.

YOU'RE NEVER ALONE.

Efrem: WE'LL GO

BEHIND THE MUSIC SHARING A

MESSAGE OF HOPE AND LOVE.

OUR MAIN MESSAGE IS TO

SAY, HEY, THAT COURAGE

SHOULD MAKE YOU FEEL WORTH

Efrem: WE'VE SAMPLED

THE SOUNDS OF THIS YEAR'S

SUMMER CONCERT, BUT WARPED

TOUR GOES BEYOND JUST

MUSIC.

ORGANIZATIONS LIKE "HEART

SUPPORT" AND "I AM SECOND"

SET UP TENTS ALL ALONG THE

CONCERTS TO TALK TO

CONCERT-GOERS.

WE TALKED TO THOSE

ORGANIZATIONS ABOUT WHAT

DRIVES THEM.

THIS IS THE ROW OF

NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION,

USING THIS CONCERT TOUR TO

FIGHT AGAINST THESE

STRUGGLES.

AN ORGANIZATION CALLED "TO

WRITE LOVE ON THEIR ARMS,"

HAS BEEN HERE FOR A

DECADE.

OUR MISSION IS TO

PRESENT HOPE, AND

PRESENTING HELP FOR THOSE

STRUGGLING WITH

DEPRESSION, ADDICTION,

SELF-INJURY AND SUICIDE.

IT SIMPLY BEGAN AS A STORY

IN 2006, TOLD BY OUR

FOUNDER, ABOUT A GIRL

HEADING INTO RECOVERY FROM

A COCAINE ADDICTION,

ATTEMPT AT HER OWN LIFE,

AND BATTLES WITH

SELF-INJURY.

Efrem: AND SINCE THAT

STORY WAS FIRST TOLD...

WE'VE BEEN ABLE TO HELP

OUT COUNTLESS AMOUNTS OF

PEOPLE, GIVING THEM THAT

HELP, AND WORKING WITH

PROFESSIONAL MENTAL HEALTH

PROFESSIONALS TO ENSURE

OTHERS GET THE HELP THEY

NEED.

LIFE CAN SEEM VERY DOWN

FOR THOSE WHO ARE

STRUGGLING WITH SOMETHING

LIKE A MENTAL ILLNESS, AND

HOPE CAN SEEM KIND OF

FADED.

Efrem: ANOTHER GROUP

CALLED "I AM SECOND," USES

PERSONAL TESTIMONY TO

PROVIDE A POSITIVE

MESSAGE.

BE HAVE SO MUCH GOING

ON IN OUR WORLD, AND SO

MUCH GOING ON IN OUR

NATION.

WE'RE JUST TRYING TO

COMMUNICATE STORIES.

WE'RE ALL BROKEN PEOPLE.

WE ALL HAVE ISSUES GOING

ON.

AND HOW CAN WE HAVE

RELATIONSHIP WITH ONE

ANOTHER?

WE DO THAT THROUGH THE

POWER OF PEOPLE.

WHEN WE DO THAT THROUGH

THE STORY THEY TELL, TO

PUT GOD FIRST IN THEIR

LIFE, AND THAT'S WHEN THEY

FIND PERSONAL FULFILLMENT.

WE NEED TO CHANGE OR

PARADIGM FROM A ME SOCIETY

AND ON TO GOD AND OTHERS.

AND PUTTING GOD AND OTHERS

FIRST.

Efrem:

ONE GROUP

CALLED "HEART SUPPORT,"

WAS

STARTED BY A THE LEAD

SINGER.

JAKE WOULD DO A SET AND

HE WOULD PLAY A SONG.

AND HE REALIZED AFTER

TALKING TO A LOT OF THEIR

FANS, MANY STRUGGLE WITH

SUICIDAL THOUGHTS AND

CUTTING LIAR ARMS.

THEIR ARMS.

AND IT WAS HARD BECAUSE

JAKE ONLY HAD 30 SECONDS

TO SIGN AN AUTOGRAGH AND

THEY GO AWAY.

SO HE CREATED HIS

FOUNDATION.

AND WE CREATE THE MESSAGE

THAT NO ONE HAS TO

STRUGGLE ALONE.

Efrem: THESE

ORGANIZATIONS SEE THE

MUSIC SCENE AS A PERFECT

OPPORTUNITY TO REACH

PEOPLE WITH THEIR

UPLIFTING MESSAGE.

BEING A PART OF THIS

TOUR, WE'RE ABLE TO REACH

OUT TO THESE AUDIENCES.

AUDIENCES THAT WE KNOW

WILL BE HERE, AUDIENCES

THAT STRUGGLE WITH STUFF

SUCH AS DEPRESSION AND

ANXIETY.

A LOT OF THESE KIDS ARE

GOING THROUGH THINGS IN

THEIR LIFE.

THEY'RE EXPERIENCING

CUTTING, DEPRESSION,

ANXIETY.

AND WE WANT TO BE A VOICE

IN THIS SPACE TO GIVE THEM

HOPE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AND

LET THEM KNOW THEY'RE

LOVED AND CARE ABOUT.

Efrem: AND THANKS TO

THESE GROUPS, LIVES ARE

CHANGING.

ONE THAT RESONATED WITH

ME WAS A YOUNG LADY WHO

CAME TO US IN THE FIRST

YEAR.

SHE HAD A LOT OF THINGS

GOING ON IN HER LIFE.

SHE WAS ABLE TO CONNECT

WITH SOMEBODY HERE.

AND HE KIND OF JUST TALKED

TO HER AND LISTENED TO HER

AND WAS OPEN TO HEARING

HER STRUGGLE.

AS A RESULT OF THAT, SHE

ENDED UP DEDICATING HER

LIFE TO THE LORD.

ONE CONNECTION LIKE THAT,

ONE STORY LIKE THAT,

MOTIVATES US TO COME BACK

OUT HERE.

I HAD A GIRL WALK INTO

THE TENT AND TELL US, BACK

IN FEBRUARY, SHE PLANNED

ON KILLING HERSELF.

AND BECAUSE OF "HEART

SUPPORT," AND BECAUSE OF

THE RESOURCES, SHE CHOSE

NOT TO.

Efrem: IN THAT STORY,

YOU HEARD FROM BRANDON

RICKS FROM THE GRIEW GROUP "I AM

SECOND," AND WE'RE SITTING

DOWN WITH HIM IN "STUDIO

5" NEXT.

AND COMING UP NEXT ON

"STUDIO 5"...

FROM THE RUINS OF OUR

HEART BECOME A GLORIOUS

FEATURE.

Efrem: A LOOK AT AN

OUTCRY TO SHOW THAT THE

Efrem: WELCOME BACK

TO "STUDIO 5" FROM THE

VIRGINIA BEACH

AMPHITHEATER.

THIS SHOW IS JUST ABOUT

DONE, AND WE'RE ALREADY

HARD AT WORK TO BRING YOU

MORE NEXT WEEK.

TAKE A LOOK.

I FEEL LIKE OUR DAYS

ARE NUMBERED, FADING INTO

THE PAST.

Efrem: "OUT CRY," IT

IS A TRAVELLING CONCERT

TOUR CELEBRATING THE WORK

OF THE LOCAL CHURCH.

WOULD YOU SAY THE CHURCH

IS AS POWERFUL TODAY AS IT

WAS IN HISTORY?

OH, YES, FOR SURE.

MORE SO.

Efrem: WE'RE SITTING

DOWN WITH RYAN ROMAIO AND

MEETING SOME OF THE

PERFORMERS ON THE TOUR.

> AS FOR TODAY'S SHOW,

WE'RE HEADING BACK TO THE

"I AM SECOND" TENT TO

CHECK IN WITH BRANDON

RICKS FOR A MESSAGE ABOUT

THE IMPORTANCE OF ENGAGING

CULTURE THROUGH MUSIC.

I REALLY BELIEVE IN

MUSIC, AND I BELIEVE THAT

GOD HAS GIVEN US A GIFT IN

MUSIC.

FOR US TO BE INFLUENTIAL

IN A CULTURE, FILM AND

MUSIC -- THOSE THINGS ARE

TWO WONDERFUL WAYS TO

CONNECT WITH PEOPLE.

WE ARE IN A CULTURE THAT

IS VERY, VERY BROKEN.

AND, YOU KNOW, FOR US AS

BELIEVERS, THESE ARE THE

PLACES WHERE WE SHOULD FIT

COMFORTABLY IN.

WE SHOULD NOT BE AB

APPREHENSIVE ABOUT BEING

IN THESE SPACES.

WE SHOULD BE MORE NATURAL

IN THESE SPACES.

JESUS WAS MOST NATURAL IN

THESE KINDS OF SPACES.

HE WAS MOST UNCOMFORTABLE

IN THE SYNAGOGUE AROUND

THE PHARISEES.

WE HAVE TO CHANGE THE WAY

THAT WE SEE THE WORLD

AROUND US.

INFLUENCE AND ACTION IS

WHAT WE'RE ALL ABOUT.

Efrem: IF WE'RE GOING

TO BE INFLUENTIAL, WE MUST

BE COMFORTABLE ENOUGH TO

TAKE ACTION.

THAT IS GOING TO DO IT FOR

THIS EDITION OF "STUDIO 5"

FOR THIS HOT SUMMER

CONCERT SERIES.

UNTIL NEXT TIME, REACH OUT

AND TOUCH ME ON

DOWNLOAD THIS VIDEO

EMBED THIS VIDEO

Related Podcasts


CBN.com | Do You Know Jesus? | Privacy Notice | Prayer Requests | Support CBN | Contact Us | Feedback
© 2012 Christian Broadcasting Network