'There Just Went a House!' Residents Grateful to Be Alive After Catastrophic Twisters Rip Through IowaÂ
- People living in centralIowa are thankful to be alive
after a series of tornadoestore through the state Thursday.
Jennifer Wishon tellsus the scariest part is
no one saw the storms coming.
- [Speaker] That's atornado, let's go, come on.
- [Jennifer] Panic incentral Iowa Thursday
without warning multiple twisters tore
through three communitiesMarshalltown, Pella and Bondurant,
catching even weatherforecasters by surprise.
- [Speaker] Oh my god!
Honey get inside, there just went a house.
- [Jennifer] Thetornadoes ripped their way
through homes tossing asidetrees and vehicles like toys.
A family in Marshalltown hunkered down
in the basement of their business,
listened to cracks, booms and explosions
as the twister roared above them.
- [Speaker] Yeah, I'm shaking.
- [Jennifer] In Pella, a tornado bounced
around the Vermeer Corporation campus
like a pinball in a game.
- It was crazy, we sawthe tornado jumped down
and it hit plant three.
- [Jennifer] As the twisters touched down
the farm equipment manufacturer
was hosting nearly 500 peoplefor customer appreciation day.
Alarms sounded as employeeshurried people into shelters.
- Pastor Kevin Korverwas here immediately,
I appreciate him being here.
- [Jennifer] At least17 people were injured
but residents are thankful
the storms didn't claim any lives.
Jennifer Wishon, CBN News.