After Calls for Civility at McCain Memorial, Nation Looks Ahead to Nasty Kavanaugh Confirmation Battle
- [George] The Vietnam Warhero's casket was taken
in a horse-drawn cart and laid to rest
at the U.S. Navel Academyin Maryland on Sunday.
Overhead, four F 18 fighterjets flew a missing man
formation to honor the Navypilot who was shot down
in Vietnam and held fiveyears as a prisoner of war.
Saturday, at the NationalCathedral in Washington,
family, friends andone-time political opponents
took the pulpit to rememberMcCain's larger than life
influence on America's political life.
Former president BarackObama highlighted McCain's
willingness to reachacross the political aisle
and suggested that Americansshould follow his example.
- So much of our politics
can seem small, and mean, and petty.
John called on us to be bigger than that.
He called on us to be better than that.
- [George] However, itwas the senator's daughter
who drew the most attentionwhen she took a jab
at President Trump who famouslyfeuded with her father,
and was not invited to the service.
- The America of John McCain has no need
to be made great again, becauseAmerica was always great.
- [George] PresidentTrump didn't seem to agree
and took to social mediashortly after the service
tweeting in all caps:make America great again.
- She is her father'sdaughter, if you say something
bad about her dad you willknow it, whether you are
the janitor or the presidentof the United States,
she is grieving for the father she adored,
and I think most ofAmericans understand that.
- [George] As the week begins,a new battle on Capital Hill
as a Senate Judicatory Committeeholds its first hearing
Tuesday with Brett Kavanaugh,President Trumps second
nominee to the Supreme Court.
- Look, I've known BrettKavanaugh for a long time,
I think he was an inspiredchoice, I think he'd make
a great justice on the Supreme Court.
- So just let me start withBrett Kavanaugh in this way,
he is the most unpopularSupreme Court nominee
in the last 40 years.
- [George] Still, mostanalysts expect the 53 year old
nominee to be confirmed andon the bench when the court
begins its new term October 1st.
George Thomas, CBN news.