'I Wanna See Jesus, but Not Right Now': Boy's Face Impaled by 17-Inch Skewer, How He Miraculously Survived
- I want you to meet 11year old Xavier Cunningham.
Now, he has this amazing story that he,
his family and friends,and anyone who knows
it will sum up with oneother word which is--
- [Reporter] Like many boys his age,
Xavier loves football, playing outdoors,
and spending time with his friends.
But that all came close to ending earlier
this month after a nearly fatal accident.
- I was the last one in.
It all started at thistree house in his backyard
where a swarm of yellowjacketsattacked him and his friends.
In the rush to escape, Xavier tripped
and fell face firstonto the ground landing
onto a meat skewer they had found earlier.
- I just felt this burningpain, just right in this area.
I was there for about 30 secondsjust screaming my head off.
- [Reporter] Somehow he managedto get back home to his mom.
- He had this metal looking rod,
what I thought was an arrow,coming out of his cheek here.
- She was like oh mygosh, who did this to you?
- [Reporter] Gabriellerushed her son to the ER
with the skewer still in place.
- Xavier looks over andhe goes I'm dying mom.
And I go no, you're not, no, you're not,
you're gonna be just fine.
He goes no, I can feel it.
He goes I wanna seeJesus, but not right now.
And I go it's okay baby,Jesus is here with us.
- [Reporter] Ultimately, they were sent
to the University of Kansas Hospital
where they waited as a team of 100 medical
staff assembled for the risky procedure.
- [Doctor] There wasa lot of consideration
as to whether or not weshould try to make an incision
at the back of the neckhere and cut this part off.
- [Reporter] Miraculously, theskewer pierced the cheekbone
under his left eye, missinghis brain, spinal cord,
and major blood vesselsby only a millimeter.
- If it hit the carotid artery,
which it was immediately adjacent to,
I think he probably wouldhad such dramatic bleeding
in such a short amount of time
that it would have swelled up in the neck
and closed off his airway andhe wouldn't have survived it.
- [Reporter] Doctors commendXavier for keeping calm
and never trying to pull out the skewer.
They say the odds of missingcritical organs was one
in a million and expect a full recovery.
- [Dad] Father, we love You.
We thank You for being a good dad.
- [Reporter] CBN Newsmet Xavier and his family
two days after hisrelease from the hospital.
- [Announcer] There's a firstand 10 for the Wildcats.
- [Reporter] We chronicledhis first outing
at the Harrisonville football field
where he hopes one dayto be a part of the team.
- [Woman] There he is.
- Hey, hey.
- Our cameras also followhim on his first Sunday back
to church where an entirecommunity rallied to pray for him.
During the visit, we talkedabout the experience.
Can I ask you something real quick?
How did you know now to take it out?
Did you think about it?
- Well, I watched BlackPanther, like the end of it,
how he just takes it out anddies and so I was like nope.
♪ Oh the overwhelming never-endingprecious love of God ♪
- Another lifeline for Xavier while he was
in the hospital was apopular worship chorus
the church sang while he was in surgery
and again at his homecoming.
I know there was a song, let me see.
- Reckless Love by Corey Ashton?
- Asbury, yeah.
- So the lyrics are oh theoverwhelming never-ending--
- Reckless love of God.
- Why did you keep singing itor asking for it to be played?
- Well, it's just becauseour first time at that church
that's one of the firstsongs we listened to
and I was like this is a good song.
- [Reporter] Xavier's parents are grateful
their son is alive and thatlife is returning to normal.
They also know their familyhas an amazing testimony
about giving glory to God.
- God created those doctorsto do phenomenal things.
But there comes a point where we come
to the end of ourselvesand this is where we were.
No man could change this.
Only the God of heaven.
- Everyday just seeinga miracle in my house.
I mean, he is, he's aliving walking miracle.
The hand of God was on my son.
- [Reporter] That miracle has strengthened
Xavier's faith, too.
- So, when you're justgetting to know Jesus
you're like oh, He savedus, He gave His life for us.
After this, it's just likeHe truly is the God Almighty.
- We pointed out just likeJesus, he now has visible scars.
Probably right now you're not thinking
that they're beautiful.
But do you think that maybeGod can make them beautiful?
- He can make everything beautiful.
- [Reporter] John Jessup,
CBN News in Harrisonville, Missouri.