America Gripped by Tears and Trauma of Ford and Kavanaugh's Heart-Wrenching Day, Now It's Up to the Senate
- In a hearing that grippedthe nation on Thursday,
Dr. Christine Blasey Fordand Judge Brett Kavanaugh
both gave emotional testimonies about
what they remember from 1982.
- Dr. Ford, with what degree of certainty
do you believe BrettKavanaugh assaulted you?
- [Abigail] Dr. Ford described in detail
what she believes happened.
- Brett groped me and triedto take off my clothes.
I believed he was going to rape me.
- [Abigail] And said she has no doubts it
was Brett Kavanaughand Mark Judge who were
in the room and attacked her.
- What is the strongest memory you have?
- The uproarious laughter between the two.
- Then Judge Kavanaug&h took his turn,
where he categorically denied her claims.
- I'm here today to tell the truth.
I've never sexually assaulted anyone,
not in high school, notin college, not ever.
- [Abigail] And said whilehe believes something may
have happened to Dr.Ford, he did not do it.
- The other night Ashleyand my daughter, Liza,
said their prayers and littleLiza, all of 10 years old,
said to Ashley, we shouldpray for the woman.
- [Abigail] Kavanaughtold how this process
has destroyed his family and good name,
consequences that willfollow them for decades.
- I love coaching more than anything I've
ever done in my whole life,
but thanks to what someof you on this side
of the committee have unleashed,
I may never be able to coach again.
- [Abigail] Kavanaughconfronted Democrats head on.
- This confirmation processhas become a national disgrace.
- [Abigail] JudgeKavanaugh assured Senators,
no matter what, he's notbacking out of this process.
- You may defeat me in the final vote,
but you'll never get me to quit, never.
- And now to Jennifer Wishonfor Washington's reaction
to the hearings.
- Abigail, as soon as they got the chance,
some Republicans unleashedtheir anger on Democrats
for dragging Judge Kavanaughand his family through the mud
in an effort, they say, toscore cheap political points
ahead of the mid-terms.
- If you wanted an FBI investigation,
you could've come to us.
What you wanna do isdestroy this guy's life,
hold this seat open andhope you win in 2020.
You've said that.
This is the most unethical sham
since I've been in politics.
- This is a national disgracethe way you're being treated.
- [Jennifer] Pastor Robert Jeffress,
who sits on the President'sEvangelical Advisory Board,
says Democrats demonstratedhow far they'll go
to protect abortion rights.
"The hearings put thehypocrisy of the Democrats
"on full display," he says,
"when we all know thattheir number one objection
"to Judge Kavanaugh is that hemight restrict, in some way,
"the murder of 700,000 females every year
"in the womb through abortion."
- [Jennifer] But even ifKavanaugh is confirmed,
Democrats believe Dr. Fordserved as a credible witness,
who will energize theirbase come November.
- [Jennifer] She was credible, calm.
She told us she was terrified,
but I thought she handledthe questions professionally
- [Jennifer] Appearingon CBN's Faith Nation,
Republican National Committee Spokeswoman,
Kayleigh McEnany praised the way Kavanaugh
handled Dr. Ford's accusation.
- He does not disbelieve Miss Ford.
He believes that this,
something very terriblecould have happened to her,
but it just wasn't him that did it.
So he was very compassionate toward her,
but very strong and very unmistakable
in denying these allegations.
He swore before God.
- [Jennifer] A relievedPresident Trump, tweeted,
Judge Kavanaugh showed Americaexactly why I nominated him.
- The Senate JudiciaryCommittee is expected
to advance Judge Kavanaugh's nomination
to the full Senate and proceduralaction over the weekend
will set up a possible confirmation vote
as early as Tuesday.
Jennifer Wishon, CBN News, Washington.