'Horrendous. Catastrophic': Menacing Michael Leaves Florida Devastated, Heads for Carolinas
- Hurricane Michael torethrough the Florida Panhandle
leaving behind a path of destruction
as it headed north toGeorgia and the Carolinas.
- [Man] It's gonna go, it's gonna go.
- [Jenna] 155 mile per hour winds
sent the roof of this hotel crashing down.
- It was terrifying, honestly.
- [Jenna] And dronevideo shows this school
torn apart by the storm.
The high winds tore housesfrom their foundations
and uprooted trees,
floodwaters from the stormsurge filling the streets.
- The dumbest thing I'veever done in 77 years
is to stay through a hurricane.
When they say evacuateagain, pew, I'm outta here.
- [Jenna] Michael also ripped
through parts of Georgia and Alabama.
Now a tropical storm,
it's moving north toward the Carolinas,
raising concerns of moreflooding and deadly tornadoes.
- We're talking about amuch-weakened Michael right now,
a tropical storm that is jetting its way
off toward the north and tothe east at 21 miles per hour.
But the impacts are far from finished.
We're still talking about gusty winds
and even some storm surge flooding here
throughout the Big Bend,
as we're looking at oneto three foot storm surge,
and also here to the coastal Carolinas
with the on-shore flow,
that potential of one to threefoot storm surge as well.
- [Jenna] Michael came so fast,
many people didn't evacuate in time.
In Florida, efforts are now focused
on saving those still in danger.
- As Hurricane Michaelcontinues its destructive path
through the Panhandleand leaves our state,
we're turning 100% of our focus
on search and rescue and recovery.
- [Jenna] The storm also topof mind for President Trump.
- I want to send our thoughts and prayers
of our entire nationto everyone in the path
of Hurricane Michael, especiallyin the Florida Panhandle
where it's hitting and hitting hard.
- Amid the destruction,CBN's Operation Blessing
is on the ground, preparingto bring relief to victims.
Just to put Michael into perspective,
it was the third-largest hurricane
to ever hit the US mainland
and the largest hurricane toimpact the Florida Panhandle.
Jenna Browder, CBN News.