Netanyahu Encourages Christian Journalists to 'Tell the Truth' in Middle East Coverage
- You are ambassadors of truth.
You're not merely the greatest ambassadors
that Israel has around the world.
You're champions of truth.
- Israeli Prime MinisterBenjamin Netanyahu
spoke to Christian journalists
at the Second ChristianMedia Summit in Jerusalem.
More than 180 journalists,broadcasters, publishers
and communicators from some30 nations gathered here
for the three day eventcalled 70 Years Of Israel.
Among the speakers US Ambassadorto Israel, David Friedman.
Who is an Orthodox Jew.
- While I do not observein a religious sense
the teachings of the New Testament,
I'm quite fond of many if its insights
and what it has to say.
None more so, than thestatement from the book of John
chapter eight verse 32
which says Then you will know the truth,
and the truth shall set you free.
- [Chris] Participants heardfrom Israeli government
military and other leadersabout Israel's achievements
and challenges facing the Jewish state
in the international and media arenas.
Nitzan Chen heads thegovernment press office
that sponsored the event.
- We need your Christianmedia because we know
exactly that you all love us
from the battle from your heart.
And you don't need to pretend
- [Chris] Author JoelRosenburg said the fact
that Israel hosted such an event,
shows how much it valuesChristian reporting.
- It is encouraging tosee that the government
of Israel realizes thatChristian journalists
are people that at leastare willing to consider
their perspective and in fact communicate
a fair picture of what's going on.
- [Chris] Participants saidthe summit was important
to their understanding of Israel.
- We're hearing a lot offresh primary source news.
And that's what a goodjournalist should want.
- There's such a wonderfullydiverse community here
and I think sometimes inthe evangelical community,
we don't grasp that about Israel.
So it's a tapestry.
- You read about things in the news,
but when you come here andyou hear all of these speakers
and then you understand really
from all these different perspectives of
what's happening in thisland and the media bias,
the stuff that's going on,the negativity against Israel.
And you hear the truth ofwhat's happening in this land
first hand it really opens up your eyes
to everything that's going on here.
- [Chris] Israeli President Reuven Rivlin
summed up Israeli sentiments.
- Dear friends thank you,
thank you again for coming to Jerusalem.
Please take home with you
a message of peace from the holy land.
And a love for Israel.
Even more importantly come back soon.
- [Chris] Chris Mitchell,CBN News, Jerusalem.