Freedom Is Unfolding in This Arab Country: US Evangelicals Find UAE 'Treasure of Moderation'
- [Chris Mitchell] Israel'sMinister of Culture and Sports,
Miri Regev, listened tohistory being made as Hatikvah,
her country's national anthem,
played during the medal ceremonies
following this internationaljudo competition.
That followed Israeli PrimeMinister, Benjamin Netanyahu's,
short visit to Oman, the firstby an Israeli Prime Minister.
Another first came whena delegation of American
Evangelical leaderscame here to Abu Dhabi,
the capital of the United Arab Emirates.
- What we found here in ourmeetings with the Crown Prince
and with many senior leaders here,
is an extraordinary story that's almost
a hidden treasure of moderation,
of resistance to radical Islamism.
To wanting a close relationshipwith the United States
and freedom of worship for Christians.
- [Chris Mitchell] Thedelegation, which represents
millions of Christians,
met with the Crown Princeand other senior leaders.
- You're seeing these Islamicleaders all across the region
say, "We're done with the terrorists.
"We're done with the extremists.
"We're gonna change from the inside out
"and we are going to bea more tolerant society."
And the UAE is like milesand miles ahead of the pack.
They even have a Minister of Tolerance.
- Respect each other.
Believe in each other.
- We have come over here asadvocates for Jesus Christ
but also for our fellow believers.
You've seen alreadythere's numbers of churches
that are already operating here.
There's been a real growth among believers
and there's been a toleranceon the part of the Muslim
government in the United ArabEmirates towards Christians.
- It's not an Americanmodel of religious freedom
for everyone and freedom of speech
but they're moving ina very good direction.
This would be a great modelfor the regions in the area.
- [Chris Mitchell] Rosenbergsees a geopolitical convergence
of the U.S., Israel, andthe Sunni Arab states
unifying to fight Islamicterrorism in a common enemy,
- Americans should beencouraged that, you know what,
there are serious threats in this region,
but there are also real serious allies.
- [Chris Mitchell] Many herehope this is the beginning of
a new day in the Middle East.
- [Johnnie Moore] In theMiddle East right now,
there is a wave of changegoing all across the region.
It is unbelievable.
- We are entering into a new season.
The fact that an AmericanEvangelical Christian
delegation is here,
headed by a dual U.S. Israeli citizen.
This is not normal forthis part of the world.
But it's exciting.
- [Chris Mitchell] ChrisMitchell, CBN News,
Abu Dhabi, the United Arab--