Trump Facing Real Trouble? New Calls for Impeachment, Some Conservatives Concerned
- The President could facelegal problems at some point
as federal prosecutors claim
he directed former attorney Michael Cohen
to pay off two mistressesin exchange for silence
during the campaign.
- There's a very realprospect that on the day
Donald Trump leaves office
the Justice Department may indict him.
- [Mark] The filing saysTrump's former attorney
acted with intent to influence
the 2016 Presidential election
and with respect to both payments
he acted in coordinationwith and at the discretion
of individual one.
Individual one being then candidate Trump.
Even conservatives seeproblems for the President.
- If you read the sentencing memo
the Southern Districtfiled in Cohen's case
it's clear that Trump is the target
and he will be indicted eventually.
- [Mark] Prosecutors saying the payment
would amount to a campaignfinance violation.
At least one of the President's defenders
says that's not the case.
- People forget history.
The Federal ElectionsCommission actually ruled
on this with John Edwards.
They actually came upwith a ruling and said
that you know what thepaying of his mistress
was not a campaign finance violation.
- [Mark] Trump's attorneyRudy Giuliani agrees tweeting,
the President is not implicated
in campaign finance violations
because based on Edwards case and others
the payments are notcampaign contributions.
Still House Democrats sayadditional investigations
and even impeachmentisn't out of the question.
- Certainly they'd be impeachable offenses
because even though they were committed
before the President became President
they were committed in the service of
fraudulently taking office.
- [Mark] They're alsoconcerned about the future
of the Russia investigation.
The decision of how muchof Mueller's final report
is shared with Congress
is up to the Attorney General.
- Bill Barr will be nominated
for the United StatesAttorney General position.
- [Mark] And if confirmed William Barr
would directly oversee the investigation.
Barr served as Attorney General
under President George HW Bush.
- Respected by Republicansand respected by Democrats.
- [Mark] Even so both sides want assurance
Barr will protect theongoing investigation
despite past comments defendingthe President's decision
to fire FBI Director James Comey.
- Bill Barr is a talented person
who was a good AttorneyGeneral the first time.
I liked him very much then.
I think he'll serve theJustice Department well.
- The President willstill need a replacement
for Chief Of Staff General John Kelly
who Trump said is leavingby the end of the year.
One candidate Vice President Pence's
Chief of Staff NickAyers won't take the job
reportedly because hedid not want to serve
the two years the President requested.
Mark Martin, CBN News.