- Are America's technologycompanies serving
as instruments of freedomor instruments of control?
- All eyes were on Google Tuesday
as members of Congresshit the search button
hoping to find answers
over the tech giant's political leanings
and privacy concerns.
- Google is able to collectan amount of information
about it's users that wouldeven make the NSA blush.
- [Strong] Google CEO, Sundar Pichai,
sat for several hoursbefore the House Judiciary
hoping to calm their concerns.
- We go to great lengthsto protect their privacy
and we give them transparency,choice, and control.
- [Strong] And then thereare the accusations of bias.
- By ranting pages, GoogleSearch always favors
one page over another.
This process however,turns much more sinister
with allegations that Googlemanipulates it's algorithm
to favor the political party it likes.
- [Strong] Californiademocrat Zoe Lofgren asked
Pichai to explain how Google Search works.
- If you google theword idiot under images,
a picture of Donald Trump comes up.
I just did that.
How would that happen?
- We try to rank
and find the best resultsfor their queries.
- So it's not some little mansitting behind the curtain
figuring out what we're going to show?
- [Strong] The concern is bipartisan.
A study from Pew reveals85% of republicans
and 62% of democrats believesocial media companies
intentionally censor viewpointsthey find objectionable.
- This election was particularly hard.
- [Strong] A leaked videopublished by Breitbart
shows some Google execsseemingly lamenting
the 2016 election results.
Pichai says Google doesn'tapproach their work with bias.
Republicans weren't buying it.
- We saw how upset thetop people at Google were
and for you to come in here
and say there is nopolitical bias in Google
tells us you are either being dishonest,
I don't wanna think that,or you don't have a clue
how politically biased Google is.
- Pichai also faced questionsover whether the company
was planning to build asearch engine for China.
Pichai stated they had no plans to do so.
Amber Strong, CBN News, Washington.