'With God's Help': Vice President Pence Points to God in Space Force Announcement
- New era of American national security
in space begins today.
- [Narrator] Vice PresidentMike Pence announced
the nation's groundbreaking command today
at the Kennedy Space Center.
- [Radio Voice] All enginesrunning, launch commence.
- [Narrator] The announcementcomes nearly 50 years
after the Apollo 8astronauts became the first
humans to orbit the moonand return to Earth.
- [Radio Voice] We are now approaching
lunar sunrise, and for allthe people back on Earth,
the crew of Apollo 8 has a message that we
would like to send to you.
- [Narrator] As the threeastronauts rounded our moon
for the 9th time that Christmas Eve,
they took turns readingfrom the Book of Genesis.
- [Radio Voice] In thebeginning, God created
the heaven and the Earth, andthe Earth was without form,
and void, and darkness wasupon the face of the deep.
And the spirit of God movedupon the face of the waters.
And God said, "Let there be light."
And there was light.
- [Narrator] But today,space is much different.
The White House says adversarieslike Russia and China
are transforming it intoa war-fighting domain.
- When it comes to defending America,
it is not enough to merelyhave an American presence
in space, we must haveAmerican dominance in space.
- [Narrator] NASA will notbe part of this initiative,
however, since the AirForce already oversees
a small space command.
Critics of this executiveorder argue that shows
the military is alreadyprotecting American
interests in space.
- The US Space Command willintegrate space capabilities
across all branches of the military.
- [Narrator] As this 21stcentury space race continues,
the White House contendsthe need to stay ahead
has never been more urgent.
Pence says that willrequire one other thing.
- Faith in the capacity ofour people to accomplish
anything in the defense ofand the advance of freedom.
And we'll also do it with that other kind
of faith as well.