Dems Blocking Pro-Israel Legislation Due to Shutdown? What Rubio Says They're Really Afraid Of
- There's a growing anti-Israel movement
known as the BoycottDivestment and Sanctions.
Or BDS, and senator Marco Rubio is alarmed
the effort support is spreading to the US.
- BDS is a movementaround the world to get
companies, pressurecompanies to boycott Israel,
meaning not do business there.
Divest for many investmentsin Israel or Israeli
companies and to getgovernment's to sanction Israel.
- [Abigail] Currentlythose behind BDS target
companies like Ahava,Caterpillar, HP, and Sabra Hummus.
Hoping to isolate Israel academically,
culturally, economically, and militarily.
- It is an anti-Semitic movement.
- [Abigail] Joel Griffithof the Heritage Foundation
calls it a threat to ISrael's security.
- Israel, it's a beacon of democracy.
It's an area where religiousminorities and ethnic
minorities enjoy equal rights.
And yet, that is the countrythat these individuals
have chosen to target.
- What do you think the endgoal of the BDS movement is?
- Well, the end goal, asstated by their founder
Omar Burgudi, is the end ofthe Jewish state of Israel.
- [Abigail] Protestorsboast their campaigns
have cost Israeli companies billions
due to lost contracts andmajor shareholders divesting.
- I'm concerned that we'reseeing for the first time,
at least two House membersthat are openly pro BDS.
- [Abigail] They would benewly elected representatives
Rashida Tlaib, and Elono Marr.
Tlaib recently told theIntercept she believes
the boycotts bring attentionto issues like the racism
and the international humanrights violations by Israel.
Senator Rubio includeda combatting BDS act
in the first bill the Senateis taking up this year.
- We have law that says thatstates and local governments
can decide not to do anywork, meaning no contracts
for goods or serviceswith companies that are
boycotting or divesting from Israel.
- [Abigail] Democrat'skeep blocking it however.
Saying they won't considerany bills unrelated
to opening the government.
Rubio thinks there's another reason.
- I think they're blockingit because they're afraid
of radical elements in their own base.
There's a growing group ofpeople in the Democratic
party that are anti-Israel openly,
and I think they're afraid of them.
- [Abigail] Senator BernieSanders and representative
Rashida Tlaib say Rubio'sbill punishes Americans
who exercise their constitutional right to
engage in political activity.
To which Rubio argues.
- The first amendment, firstof all, applies to individuals,
this law doesn't apply to individuals.
All this law says is youcan go ahead and support
BDS, but if I'm a cityor a state, I don't have
to contract with a companythat's involved in BDS.
- [Abigail] Minority leader Chuck Schumer
a staunch supporter ofIsrael, did not answer
CBN News' question about histhoughts on the Democrat's
who openly support the BDS movement.
But he did say this aboutthe combatting BDS Act.
- I am a co-sponsor, soI've supported it all along.
- Congress woman Tlaibsays she plans to go
against tradition andlead a House delegation
to which she refers toas the Israeli occupied
west bank, historicallyfreshman lawmakers have
been invited to spend a weekmeeting with Israeli leaders.
Reporting from CapitalHill, Abigail Robertson,