- That's right Gordon,and the powerful images
are still circulating on social media
after thousands of faithleaders and lawmakers
from around the world metright here in Washington
for the annual National Prayer Breakfast.
Abigail Robertson brings us a look
at this rare moment of unity.
- Political leaders in Washington
put politics aside for a morning,
to take time to pray together.
- Give him the insight that he needs,
give him joy in the task,
and use him for your kingdom's sake
and for our nation and world's sake.
- [Abigail] In a powerful moment,
Republican Senator JamesLankford and Democrat Chris Coons
held hands with the president and prayed.
- And we ask that your wisdom,your blessing, and your peace
would be upon him and hisfamily as they serve us.
- [Abigail] A traditionthey lead each week
in their bipartisan Senate prayer group.
- It's fascinating tome the number of times
that I'll have someone come up to me,
back when I'm back home in Oklahoma,
and will say, okay, I sawsuch-and-such person on TV,
they drive me crazy.
And I'll often smile through
and go yeah, we stop andpray together every week.
And very often--- They're surprised.
- The response is, "Really?"
You pray with that person?- That guy?
- [Abigail] The leaders intentionally
steered clear of politics for this event.
- We could focus on dozensof different divisive things.
Instead, we're gonna focus on
what I believe has united Americans
from the very founding of this country,
which is a belief in God and abelief that this is a country
with a creator and witha common sense of purpose
that we can best find through prayer.
- [Abigail] PresidentTrump opened his remarks,
telling the audiencefull of religious leaders
he stands with them.
- I will never let you down.
- [Abigail] Reminding them
of his stance on religious freedom.
- My administration hastaken historic action
to protect religious liberty.
- [Abigail] And pledging to fight
for faith-based adoption agencies,
which have been under attack
due to their Biblicalbeliefs about marriage.
- My administration is working to ensure
that faith-based adoptionagencies are able
to help vulnerable childrenfind their forever families
while following their deeply-held beliefs.
- President Trump is the12th president to speak
at the annual breakfastsince Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Reporting from Washington,Abigail Robertson, CBN News.