Jim Burns is President of HomeWord and has written books for parents, youth workers, and students. Jim and his wife, Cathy, and their daughters Christy, Rebecca, and Heidi, live in Southern California. Visit HomeWord.
101 Creative Dates
By Jim Burns
People are far too boring when it comes to dating. Many couples always do the same thing at the same time in the same place. Dating was meant to be fun and enjoyable. For years I've kept a list of creative date ideas in my desk for Cathy and me. People say, "Variety is the spice of life," and we've sure tried a variety of dating experiences. I would say that renting a canoe on a very cold evening at dusk, getting lost and then tipping over the canoe with our clothes on was our dumbest choice for a date. Ten years later, though, it's fun to tell the story. We've created some memories for a lifetime.
Here's what I do. I collect date ideas. I get them from friends or books, and I even brainstorm with students at some of my speaking engagements. You can make your own list, but I'll help you get started.
Try These Creative Date Ideas
1. Write a song together.
2. Skip rocks–have a contest.
3. Write a short letter to a friend.
4. Read the newspaper, Time magazine or another informational magazine.
5. Write a letter to God.
6. Call someone to whom you haven't talked in a while and visit with them.
7. Take a walk with your dog.
8. Go to the golf driving range.
9. Watch a Little League baseball, soccer or football game.
10. Write goals.
11. Read a good book together.
12. Write a journal.
13. Celebrate anything.
14. Make up a fun diet.
15. Wear a funny hat.
16. Kidnap a friend for breakfast.
17. Take pictures.
18. Go to the park and draw (birds, sunset, etc.).
19. Visit the library and ask the librarian a bizarre question.
20. Develop a new laugh together.
21. Visit the zoo.
22. Visit a mission.
23. Visit an art museum.
24. Ride bikes.
25. Learn a hobby together.
26. Wash a car.
27. Wash your dog.
28. Roller blade.
29. Climb a mountain.
30. Climb a tree.
31. Eat creatively one whole day for $1.18.
32. Picnic anywhere--be creative.
33. Survey the neighborhood with a self-made, bizarre questionnaire.
34. Shop for cars.
35. Go to the airport and watch people.
36. Run your own neighborhood day camp for one day.
37. Go square dancing.
38. Ride a bicycle built for two.
39. Visit a beach or lake.
40. Ice skate.
42. Play backgammon.
44. Go horseback riding.
45. Play pinball or miniature golf.
46. Water ski.
48. Try writing a poem or short story.
49. Play ping-pong.
50. Play board games or card games.
51. Plant a garden together.
52. Take a walk.
53. Fly kites.
54. Try hiking.
55. Visit a batting cage.
56. Play tennis.
57. Learn racquetball.
60. Ride a ferry.
61. Attend a Bible study.
62. Go for a drive.
63. Snow ski.
65. Get involved in handicrafts.
66. Take a fun class together.
67. Go on a scavenger hunt.
68. Do homework together.
69. Collect something.
70. Play croquet.
71. Go river rafting or tubing.
72. Play badminton.
73. Build a tree house.
74. Ride motorcycles.
75. Take an exercise class together.
76. Go out to dinner, casual or fancy.
77. Share a pizza and talk.
78. Have a barbecue.
79. Cook dinner for your parents.
80. Take an ice cream break and talk.
81. Cook dinner together.
82. Bake cookies.
83. Make homemade ice cream.
84. Attend a play.
85. Go to the movies.
86. Support school functions.
87. Party with friends.
88. Go to a sports event.
89. Visit a swap meet, an auction, or garage sale.
90. Watch TV at someone's house.
91. Go to a concert.
92. Watch hang gliders.
93. Go to a public lecture.
94. Hear a public speaker.
95. Feed the ducks.
96. Go to the circus.
97. Go to the park and swing.
98. Go out in the snow and build snow people.
99. Visit an observatory.
100. Go to the county fair.
101. Find a way to volunteer together.
More articles for Singles
More Marriage articles
For more stories like this one, sign up to receive Family News from CBN.com in your email every Tuesday.
Printed by permission of HomeWord. For additional information on HomeWord, visit www.homeword.com or call 800-397-9725.
CBN IS HERE FOR YOU!
Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting?
Are you facing a difficult situation?
A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.